Discussion Board

Cannot receive VoIP calls on an E70

I have a new E70 and it is a splendid device. I use it to make calls with my Irish service provider, Blueface. Unfortunately, people cannot phone me on my VoIP number, which means they can only call me on my mobile number, thereby paying more given Ireland's high calls-to-mobile charges.

Apparently there is a problem with the E70 accessing my ISP's SIP system. There is discussion about this here. Evidently the E61 had a similar problem, which may have been fixed by the 3.x version of the E61's SIP software.

Will Nokia be updating the E70's SIP software soon?

I'd beta-test.

Thanks! Kiitos!

Re: Cannot receive VoIP calls on an E70

No comment from Nokia?

Nokia Developer Expert

New release has not been planned for E60 & E70. E60 and E70 support only Nokia VoIP 1.0.

This does not sound like good news. My ISP in Ireland says that they have problems supporting that, but that after the E61 was upgraded it worked for them. So I am hoping that Nokia will upgrade the firmware for the E70 as well.

My E70 is quite new. I only bought it a couple of weeks ago. It cost a lot of euros too. It saves me money because I can make calls on it, but it would be nice if I could receive VoIP calls too. I will talk to my ISP again, but please will Nokia consider upgrading the firmware for the E70?

I have been active within a Swedish site trying to help people who doesn't manage to use their Nokia phones with SIP. So far the problem has never been the phone. I have an E61 myself and has used it with various VoIP suppliers and with firmware starting with 1.xxxx to 3.xxx right now.

The major problem is that the SIP protocol is not intended to be used behind a router. UDP is used and some vital information, like which port to receive calls on, is transmitted inside UDP packages. If you have an Internet supplier permitting more than one external IP-address the simplest solution is to use a switch instead of a router.

If you have a router the problem you are describing is very common, i.e. possible to call out but you can not receive a call. The problem is that your router doesn't keep a port open permitting the phone to act as a server. Usually routers have a function to let one internal address bypass the NAT/Firewall in the router. Often the call it DMZ (De Militarized Zone). A quick fix you could try is:

1. Set up your router to always give your phone the same internal IP-address.

2. Put this address in the routers DMZ. If you have played around with the phone within five minutes, restart it.

3. Often the VoIP suppliers submit a software for calling from your computer. Turn this one of - if the computer is using the router. The reason is that the software normally uses the same UDP port as the phone.

One can often see that a function called STUN will be the messiah solving the problem. In your case this could have solved the problem but many modern routers contain a function which detects the use of SIP and handles it properly without the need for special settings like above. Using STUN together with these more modern routers could give the adverse effect. This is documented in several cases.

pls read this article - it should solve your problems:
    http://e90.blogvasion.com/2008/02/ge...and-other.html