Discussion Board

Running emulator under SDK 1.0

Anyone successfully run the Emulator using the SimpleNDEFExample? If so, what model of the Omnikey CardMan card reader did you use (CardMan CM5321 USB?). Looks like it won't launch unless a reader is attached. Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: Running emulator under SDK 1.0

You don't need to use any external card reader to run the example SimpleNDEFExample.
    Emulator has the role of card reader and NFC card (Mifare Ultralight) is also emulated through the emulator.

Read the release notes (in the directory /examples/SimpleNDEFExample/) to see how to write and read operations can be made.

- yakdogan

Regular Contributor

The Nokia 6131 NFC SDK 1.0 supports Omnikey CardMan 5x21 external readers. When you install the drivers for your Omnikey CardMan reader, please make sure you also install the CardMan Synchronous API, which gives the NFC SDK a way to communicate with supported RFID cards. Section 2.1 (Installing and Omnikey CardMan reader) in the User’s Guide contains more information about the two-step installation procedure required for this type of external reader.

However, the Nokia 6131 NFC Emulator can be run even if there is no external reader attached. You can launch the SimpleNDEFExample and use the simulated cards to read and write NDEF records. When you say that the Emulator won’t launch if there is no reader attached, what do you mean? Is there any (error) message? Can you please give us more details?
    Raluca Cindrea
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.nokia.com/nfc

When I launch the Nokia SDK Launcher I see the phone and select file > open navagating to the jad file for the SimpleNDEFExample. The picture of the phone disapears and whats shown in the emulator window is the commend to execute the midp.exe with a Xdescriptor that points to the .jad file I navagated then eventually a emulator closed message appears. Sorry I can't seem to cut and past the message that appears. I am using a 1.5 JDK with Eclipse 3.2.2. The plugin installed correctly I was able to open up the SimpleNDEFExample in Eclipse, compiles fine. I tried to launch the eumlator from Eclipse with no luck either. Same command appears in the, I turned trace options on and even set break points in the code but it doesn't look like the emulator even launches into the code

One last note when I launch the emulator it shows a picutre of a closed 6131 phone it doesn't look anything like the one pictured on page 12 of the Nokia 6131 SDK User's Guide v1.0 3/27/07. Does it flip open when the example launches? Might be an error between the chair and the key board but I am stumped. Thanks

Is there anyone using the "Pegoda reader" to exchage APDU with the card successfully? I see the "Pegoda reader" is in Supported external card readers list in "Nokia 6131 NFC SDK User Guide."

But when I use pegoda reader to work with emulator, it seems that the emulator doesn't find the reader yet.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by yuchansung
    Is there anyone using the "Pegoda reader" to exchage APDU with the card successfully? I see the "Pegoda reader" is in Supported external card readers list in "Nokia 6131 NFC SDK User Guide."

But when I use pegoda reader to work with emulator, it seems that the emulator doesn't find the reader yet.
    The Pegoda reader can be used with the emulator if you want to read/write tags, but for exchanging APDUs with a smart card you have to use an Omnikey reader.

Also, please note that currently the only smart card that you can use to get an ISO14443Connection through an external reader (Omnikey) when using the emulator is the JCOP 3.0.

I hope this helps.
    Raluca Cindrea
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.nokia.com/nfc