Discussion Board

Post "Compulsary attribute missing" when iam trying to download and install a ".jar" file

Hi,

Can any one help me in this regard,

When iam trying to download and install a ".jar" file frm web on my Nokia N93,73,

please help me any one?

Regular Contributor

Re: "Compulsary attribute missing" when iam trying to download and install a ".jar" f

How are you trying to install the jar? « install a ".jar" file frm web » is kind of vague.
    Is it a phone error or an application error? (when do you see the message, before installing/downloading the jar or after ?)

Do you have the jad file?
    Usually jars come along with jad files(for j2me apps). To install an application you point the phone to the jad and it will "automatically" fetch the jar. Some phones allow to install directly the jar some don't(don’t know about Nokia N93,73).

You could get the error when trying to install/download the jar on the phone or you could get it after the jar was downloaded and the app starts and then for ex., tries to fetch some attributes it stored in jad and since the jad is missing it gives you that error.

Anyway, try finding the corresponding jad file and see if it works then.

Re: "Compulsary attribute missing" when iam trying to download and install a ".jar" f

sorry to say it is not the .jar it is .jad what you said is perfect but when iam connecting to the website the donwloading is not been started and the error message is dsiplayed iam unable to understand its the problem with the handsets ot with the Java application.

Hope u will reply.

Super Contributor

Hi shivaapp! Welcome to Nokia Discussion Boards!!

Please make sure that your JAD/MF entries are correct and the MIME types for JAR and JAD set in the server are correct.
    MIME types “application/java-archive” for jar and “text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor” for jad

Regards
    Gopal

Nokia Developer Champion

As already noted by Gopal, the problem is in the Manifest file (located inside your jar) or in the JAD file (if you are using that during the installation).

MIDP spec defines that a number of attributes have to be defined in the manifest file and/or in the JAD file. The MIDlet you are installing is missing one or more of these required attributes.

The following is taken from the MIDP 2.0 spec
    The manifest MUST contain the following attributes:
    • MIDlet-Name
    • MIDlet-Version
    • MIDlet-Vendor
    The manifest or the application descriptor MUST contain the following attributes:
    • MIDlet-<n> for each MIDlet
    • MicroEdition-Profile
    • MicroEdition-Configuration

Hartti

Hi,

Thanks for your valuable commets.

But the same is installing on 6600,7610

Can u give me a reply ASAP.

Shiva Krishna.

Nokia Developer Champion

Have you checked the manifest file inside the JAR? Does it contain all the attributes I listed?

Hartti