Discussion Board

S60 2nd to 3rd/ PlatformSecurity / Capabilities

Hello all,

I've got a problem while porting S60 2nd application to S60 3rd. Changed code so that it compiles OK with S60 3rd FP1, tried to run on emulator without platform security constraints - it runs OK. When I turn platform security ON I'm unable to run program on emulator - got "Unable to execute file for security reasons".
    I checked the epocwind.out file for *PlatSec* errors and found as stated below:
    Code:
    115.855	viewbox is defined: 88.0000x88.0000
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to APGRFX.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to APPARC.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to BAFL.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to CONE.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to CommonEngine.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to FBSCLI.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to FLOGGER.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to GDI.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to avkon.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to eikcoctl.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to eikcore.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to eikctl.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to eikdlg.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to etext.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to msgs.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       121.605	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to WS32.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to APGRFX.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to APPARC.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to BAFL.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to CONE.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to CommonEngine.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to FBSCLI.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to FLOGGER.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to GDI.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to avkon.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to eikcoctl.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to eikcore.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to eikctl.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to eikdlg.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to etext.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to msgs.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.175	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - Can't load jahsav.exe because it links to WS32.dll which has the following capabilities missing: TCB 
       122.225	FontProvider: Category=1, TextPane Height=21; mapped request=18; typeface=Series 60 Sans, actual range=21(a,d,exa,exd=13 5 4 -1)
       122.250	AknGlobalNote, StartL:id 2,type 4,prior 0
    It seems that errors are while loading not running the process, so I guess some kind of configuration tweaking should help, what do you think?

Program is compiled with All-TCB capabilities. I'm using Carbide C++ 1.0
    Right now I have no idea how to get rid of this errors. It keeps me from running the whole program.
    Do you have any ideas how to solve this? Any clues?

Best regards,

Jarek.
    paranoia is faith in a hidden order behind visible

Super Contributor

Re: S60 2nd to 3rd/ PlatformSecurity / Capabilities

Can you try reducing the capability of your application? I don't think you need "All -Tcb" for your application.

Note that in Carbide.c++ 1.0, you cannot add the MMP file to change capability. You have to right click the project name and select Properties | C/C++ Build.

If you change the .mmp file, then you have to re-import your project into Carbide.c++.

From your log file, it looks like your application requires "All" capability.

Antony

Nokia Developer Moderator

You cannot use TCB capability in your application if you want to load dlls which do not have this capability. And system DLLs usually have "ALL -TCB" or even less and e.g. a GUI app with TCB can never load the needed avkon.dll.

If TCB is really needed for your application than move the relevant functionality in a server.

If TCB is not needed then remove it from your project's MMP.

As a rule, when writing applications start from capability NONE and only add capabilities when/if they are needed. When developing DLLs you can start from "ALL" or "ALL -TCB" but by the time you finalize your project the capability set should be reduced to minimum.

In Carbide you should enumerate the capabilities one by one rather than using "ALL -xxx" constructs.

Guys,
    thanks for your fruitful help. I have done as you told me to - started with Capabilities NONE and been adding one capability at a time (refering epocwind.out for errors) and it turned out that all the capabilities I need are:
    SwEvent+ReadUserData+AllFiles I do not need TCB at all
    btw. do you know how hard is to get AllFiles capability enabled certificate from Symbian signed?

thanks again,

Jarek
    paranoia is faith in a hidden order behind visible

Nokia Developer Moderator

Well, it is not easy to get it . Depends pretty much on what are you really doing and how the world is going to benefit from your work.

Seriously speeking AllFiles is quite sensitive and it would be beter if you could think of some ofther ways of achieving your goals. If that is not possible than apply for the the capability and hope for the best.