Discussion Board

E50 & Windows XP: PPP/dial-up problem

Hi all!

I'm trying create GPRS data connection using E50 handset with my Thinkpad T60 Windows XP SP2 laptop. All the common PC-Suite stuff works ok using bluetooth, IrDA, or USB connections.

However, I'm not able to create a dial-up connection successfully. It always ends up with Windows' "Error 720", after hanging somewhile in the "Registering your computer on network" phase. And no, this is not the common corrupted winsock whatsoever problem, for which the web has plenty of instructions of how to fix it. I tried these, with no help at all.v

The E50 itself works ok with the very same GPRS settings, browsing, email, etc. no problem at all. I'm able to send AT commands to the phone, it makes GPRS attach ok, it accepts PDP-context settings, and activates the context.

I was able to trace two clear symptoms indicating that something is wrong somewhere.

1) While using XP's dial-up, the phone never activates the PDP-context. The indicator in the upper left corner of the display shows that only GPRS Attach has been made. If I send ATDT*99# to the phone from serial terminal, it does not activate PDP context either. It does it only if I first perform GPRS Attach and then explicitly activate the PDP context using AT command.

2) Using XP's PPP trace, I was able to track down where the PPP handshake terminates. It seems, that XP want's to do some "Authentication" using PAP, but this message is replied by "PPP code reject" message by the phone. According to the PPP specification, in such case the handshake should be terminated, since there may be some imcompatibility issue that cannot be solved. That's why XP happily terminates the handshake, altough the phone is still sending IPCP messages.

The big question is, that what's wrong and where, who broke it? Why it suddenly seems, that the E50 is incompatible with XP's PPP stack or something? This is not the first GPRS or 3G phone I'm using with laptop, and not the first that's having problem. But what really pis*** me off, is that this problem seems to be such that cannot be solved, so far. Any sophisticated quess or idea how to fix this would be appreciated.

ObWhine:
    Why the only way to use a GPRS handset & data connection with laptop is to use the crappy dial-up interface. I understand that this was important legacy support issue in the dawn of GPRS, but hey really, this could be implemented so much more better way in the first place. We're nearly living year 2010 and still _dialing_ modems in order to get a decent mobile data connection to use with PC. Ok, it may be minority of users that need to use GPRS phone with laptops, but the E-series are told to be business phones, my E50 is a tool for me, and I suppose it should behave like a tool, too.

Re: E50 & Windows XP: PPP/dial-up problem

I have gotten this to work over the dku cable first. Then after tinkering around I got it to work via bluetooth as well. It is very fickle though and does not work all the time. The key for getting bluetooth to work was adding the init string to the modem that was being used.

This thread lead to my eventual connection, but again, it isn't working right now. It's frustrating.
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...light=tutorial

The Nokia PC suite has a button to initiate a web connection but I have never seen it work.

Hope the link helps. It is using cingular settings but you may be able to swap in the settings for your provider.

Unfortunately, I already have the required init string in the modem settings. It was actually inserted by the PC-suite. I have verified that it's correct for my operator, I'm able to activate PDP context with that setting by using AT commands in serial terminal.

Also, the init string contains very same setting that I have in my phone's settings for browsing, etc. And they work ok.

Just wondering did Microsoft break XP's PPP in some hotfix, or did Nokia break their PPP in E50.

I'm sorry that didn't help Olli.

I just tried to connect now with my 6620 and I'm getting the same error.

There's several security settings in the properties of dial-up connection in XP. These don't me really sense in this context, where the PPP connection is just between TE&MT. I cannot recall that that stuff has been there in XP from the start, so it must have been added by some update or so, maybe SP2?

It seems to me that this could have something to de with this problem, since I noticed from the XP's PPP log that the connection attempt gets terminated after XP tries to do some authentication stuff with the E50 phone, which then rejects the message.

However, altering the mentioned security settings doesn't bring any help either. And it does not change the behavior seen from the PPP log.

I have had the same error 720 for some months now. I have tried width a 6230i and a 6103, same error on both bluetooth and ir. In the modem log it gets a CONNECT but the modem driver drops the line after saying : "Errorcontrol off or unknown" and "Data Compression off or unknown". I am using a thinkpad xp-pro sp2 too. Hope we are not alone.... how do you enable the PPP tracing on xp ?
    Last edited by perpa; 2007-06-01 at 06:57.