Discussion Board

Problems with preinstalled packages

I have some problems with PA packages. I have made the .sis file with type PA and all the files are in place (sis file is in \private\10202dce folder and all files are in memory card) but when I insert the mini-SD to the device the application is not installed to the phone. Application installer finds the .sis file (and claims that it is uninstalled) but when I try to install the application manually the installation fails to the error message "Unable to install". The sis file is signed with R&D certificate and the corresponding certificate is also installed into phone.

I need to solve the problem ASAP so all the help is more than welcome.

- Kirmo

Re: Problems with preinstalled packages

I have the same issue. I am trying everything and it does not work. I use N73.
    My application is in protected range: 0x2.....
    I use development certificate.
    Last edited by Leanid; 2007-04-19 at 21:14.

I am very confused with this PA. In SDK help for symbian 3 1.0_2 there are next lines:

"Pre-installed applications
    An application can be pre-installed to a media card before sale, in other words by the vendor rather than the end user.

To prepare such a media card, a PKG file of type PA ('preinstalled application') is required. The PKG file must include an install-file section which lists all executables and data files. The source filenames are not relevant and can consist of empty quotes. The ! character should be used as the target drive letter for all files."

It says to use ! as target drive, but another document tells to use e:/ as target drives.

Also PA type .sis file supposed to create hash values for all source files to validate them on installation? So then how does it finds it if source files are not relevant and can be empty? It does not have e:/sys/bin/MyApp.exe for sure.

Ok, looks like setting read only permissions on all preinstalled files that listed in .pkg did the trick.

Also I named my stub installer as my app UID (might be not necessary, will try later).

Also If you ever installed application on your phone with the same UID autoinstall will not start, but you can start it manually from App Manager or by resetting phone with ("*#7370#"), but I did not tried it myself.

I think this is Symbian "feature", when you first time insert card with preinstalled application it installs. If user unistalled application, symbian will not try to install it automatically, but user can do it manually from App. Manager.

I signed application with developer certificate, all functionality available, UID in protected range 0x2...

And I used type=PA and directed all files to e: drive.

I guess SDK help completely wrong on this issue.
    Last edited by Leanid; 2007-04-23 at 18:17.