Discussion Board

Thread: encryption!!!

encryption!!!

i'm working on a mobileBank project(on simaulator so i can't have a new sim card that have certiface on it)
    and wanna make encryption.
    what tools can i use?
    WTLS,digital signiture,wmlScript crypto Libary?????
    Thanks

Regular Contributor

RE: encryption!!!

Hi!

WTLS is used to ensure privacy, integrity, and, optionally, authentication on the communication channel between the terminal and the WAP protocol gateway. WTLS is rich in features, making it possible, for example, to:
    Transparently encrypt and decrypt information sent between a WAP client and a WAP gateway so that a third party cannot understand communication between the two.
    Authenticate the communicating parties so that both parties can be sure the other party is who it claims to be.
    Ensure the integrity of communication so that the recipient of secure information can verify that the content of the data has not been changed since it was sent.

Besides WTLS, you can also use WMLScript CryptoLibrary signText function to provide digital signature.

There are a couple of documents about WAP security available at the Forum Nokia web site. Please take a look at those to find out some further, more detailed information. The documents are

- Nokia WAP Phone Security (www.forum.nokia.com -> Technologies -> Browsing/WAP -> Documents)
    - Security in Mobile Transcations (www.forum.nokia.com -> Mobile Commerce -> Documents)

Kind regards,
    Satu/Forum Nokia Developer Support

Satu,

A follow on question if I may...

I'm looking to be able to communicate from a laptop irda interface to a phone to be able to access crypto functions like generate a digital signature based on a private key stored on the SIM.

Is this what you are talking about?

Is WMLScript Crypto library 'the' way to access these functions? Are there any other options?

Also, the links you posted didn't seem to work; is this me being dense?

Thanks,

Marc.