Discussion Board

Smile Windows Vista Issues and Patches

Hi,

I've finally managed to compile some stuff under Windows Vista and I've had many issues with the SDK, so I thought I could share my experience with everybody.

Most issues are related to the file cl_bpapi.pm that can be found at Epoc32/tools path. Here we've got 2 things to fix.

First, subs GCCLibPath and GCCInstallPath will fail under Windows Vista because they rely on the fact that arm-nonesymbian-elf-g++ -print-libgcc-file-name should return the complete path to libgcc.a. This works under systems older than Vista, but under Windows Vista the result is just the library filename (libgcc.a) so path detection will fail for both items, libraries and binaries.

I fixed this adding the following line at the beginning of each sub:

Code:
    return "C:\\Program Files\\CSL Arm Toolchain\\bin";
    Now you'll probably be able to compile all objects but linker will crash, because it can't find libgcc.a

I fixed this issue modifying the sub PMBld. First, you should find the next piece of code:

Code:
    if ($Bld =~ /DEB/)
    {
    	&main::Output(
    		"\t\$(LD) ","\$(STATIC_LIBS) ","\$(SYMBIAN_UDEB_LINK_FLAGS) ", "\$(SHARED_OBJECT_OPTION) ",
    		"\$(CODE_SEGMENT_START) ", "\$(DATA_SEGMENT_START) 0x400000 ", "\$(SYMVER_OPTION) ","\$(SO_NAME_OPTION) ","$LinkAs"
    	);
    }
    else
    {
    		"\t\$(LD) ","\$(STATIC_LIBS) ","\$(SYMBIAN_UREL_LINK_FLAGS) ","\$(SHARED_OBJECT_OPTION) ",
    		"\$(CODE_SEGMENT_START) ", "\$(DATA_SEGMENT_START) 0x400000 ", "\$(SYMVER_OPTION) ","\$(SO_NAME_OPTION) ","$LinkAs"
    	);
    }
    Now, you can manually add the option "-L" to the linker parameters and manually specify the path to libgcc.a. The result should look like this:

Code:
    if ($Bld =~ /DEB/)
    {
    		"\t\$(LD) ","\$(STATIC_LIBS) ","\$(SYMBIAN_UDEB_LINK_FLAGS) ", "\$(SHARED_OBJECT_OPTION) ",
    		"\$(CODE_SEGMENT_START) ", "\$(DATA_SEGMENT_START) 0x400000 ", "\$(SYMVER_OPTION) ","\$(SO_NAME_OPTION) ","$LinkAs",
    		" -L\"C:\\Program Files\\CSL Arm ToolChain\\lib\\gcc\\arm-none-symbianelf\\3.4.3\""
    	);
    }
    else
    {
    		"\t\$(LD) ","\$(STATIC_LIBS) ","\$(SYMBIAN_UREL_LINK_FLAGS) ","\$(SHARED_OBJECT_OPTION) ",
    		"\$(CODE_SEGMENT_START) ", "\$(DATA_SEGMENT_START) 0x400000 ", "\$(SYMVER_OPTION) ","\$(SO_NAME_OPTION) ","$LinkAs",
    		" -L\"C:\\Program Files\\CSL Arm ToolChain\\lib\\gcc\\arm-none-symbianelf\\3.4.3\""
    	);
    }
    You may find other issues related to defalut paths. Check your PATH environment variable and check you've got the following paths at the beginning:

Code:
    C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\bin;
    C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\arm-none-symbianelf\bin;
    C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\libexec\gcc\arm-none-symbianelf\3.4.3;
    Remember you should restart your IDE after changing the PATH environment variable.

In these examples, the Toolchain is installed at "C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain" You should replace it with your own installation path.

Good luck!

sync

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Windows Vista Issues and Patches

Interesting findings synchrnzr. How about creating an article on Forum Nokia's Wiki, it should be a good start for an Windows Vista development guide until official support will be provided with the SDKs/tools

Thumbs up Re: Windows Vista Issues and Patches

Ok, I've just added an article to the Wiki, hope it helps. I'm not quite familiarized to Wiki writing, so feel free to modify it if the style isn't right.

sync

Super Contributor

Re: Windows Vista Issues and Patches

Hi all,
    A new project page on the wiki documents the "Move to Vista"
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Vista_%28tm%29

Please send me ANTHING THAT NEEDS adding or changing or update you self

Jim