Discussion Board

Problem enumerating camera sizes on N95

I experience the following problem. I try to enumerate through the different camera resolutions on the N95. However it seems that there is a problem with the higher resolutions. I get camera resolution sizes of 0*0 pixels!

Here is the part of my code that reads out the different sizes:

sizes = new TSize[iInfo.iNumImageSizesSupported];
    for (int i=0;i<iInfo.iNumImageSizesSupported;i++) {
    iCamera->EnumerateCaptureSizes(sizes[i],i,
    CCamera::EFormatFbsBitmapColor16M);
    }

In portrait mode I get the following 3 sizes:
    0: 640*480
    1: 1024*768
    2: 0*0

In landscape mode i get the following 5 sizes:
    0: 640*480
    1: 1024*768
    2: 0*0
    3: 0*0
    4: 0*0

Should I use another bitmap format or is there a firmware problem on the N95?
    It works on all other devices I have my application tested with. (6630, 6680, N70, N80)

N95 (Firmware V10.0.018)

Re: Problem enumerating camera sizes on N95

I found a solution. I have to use CCamera::EFormatExif as camera format. Now I get all sizes correct. (Which makes sense for bigger resolutions, because of the large memory consumption for uncompressed images)

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rvogt
    I found a solution. I have to use CCamera::EFormatExif as camera format. Now I get all sizes correct.
    Thanks for this info.

I also found out that in N95 (using OS: 2.00(1167) SW: V 10.0.014 06-03-07 RM-159) you have to be in the landscape mode to receive all the sizes correctly. I'd categorize this as a defect in the device sw.

It also seemed that you need to use some other form of signing than self-signing in order to utilize the higher image sizes correctly.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by otsov
    I also found out that in N95 (using OS: 2.00(1167) SW: V 10.0.014 06-03-07 RM-159) you have to be in the landscape mode to receive all the sizes correctly. I'd categorize this as a defect in the device sw.
    Based on this post it seems to be a problem also in N80:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...360#post215360

This seems like a platform bug appearing in several models?

Quote Originally Posted by otsov
    Thanks for this info.

It also seemed that you need to use some other form of signing than self-signing in order to utilize the higher image sizes correctly.
    You have to use CCamera::EFormatExif as camera format. Then it works with all sizes!
    (Otherwise if an uncompressed format is selected the device has too few memory to deal with a full size image)

Nokia Developer Expert

otsov: The behavior you have detected is not a bug. If you capture images in both screen orientations you notice that the images are always correctly oriented. The camera sensor in N80, N73 and N95 is mounted so that images are natively correctly oriented when device is used in landscape. In portrait orientation images are cropped from center of camera sensor and rotated 90 degrees. This also limits the maximum image size you can get in portrait orientation.
    janza

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by janza
    The camera sensor in N80, N73 and N95 is mounted so that images are natively correctly oriented when device is used in landscape. In portrait orientation images are cropped from center of camera sensor and rotated 90 degrees. This also limits the maximum image size you can get in portrait orientation.
    I would still say that the "CCamera" C++ wrapper is trying to be too clever as it does not actually check if the device is used in landscape but rather if the application executing is in landscape mode (the former would be possible in N95 where you have an hw orientation sensor).

The device and the application orientation difference force the developer to call the "CAknAppUi::SetOrientationL" to get the higher image sizes even though the application would be in portrait mode and even though you could do the rotation of the image yourself. If I understood correctly, the current dependency between the ECam and AVKON/UIKON should be documented or even removed.

Nevertheless, thanks for your answer.

Nokia Developer Expert

otsov: there are a couple of issues.

1) If camera image was rotated according to physical orientation of device (which would require a tilt sensor, not available in all devices) the application could receive images with different size than was requested (using PrepareImageCaptureL) This might cause some applications to crash or make them produce corrupted images.

2) Application can not know in which orientation the sensor is mounted on the device, so how can it handle rotation of images? Even if it could know the sensor orientation and needed rotation, the rotation would be much slower and would require huge amount or RAM because the application could not use dedicated HW for the rotation.
    janza

Super Contributor

The best option would be if the camera API were extended so that the application could

a) query the physical orientation of the sensor chip

b) explicitly request the camera module to perform or not perform rotation and cropping.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jplauril View Post
    The best option would be if the camera API were extended so that the application could

a) query the physical orientation of the sensor chip

b) explicitly request the camera module to perform or not perform rotation and cropping.
    The a) is possible already, it is distributed as Nokia 5500 sensor plugin though it works in N95 also. The separate sensor API is in my opinion a good idea.

The b) is really needed and the current implementation is not adequate from a C++ developer view point.

Question Re: Problem enumerating camera sizes on N95

Well, I know it's not exactly the good forum, but 've got the same issue in python. Since I have no answer in python forum, I try on these one :

Is there a way to solve the problem in python ?