Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Question J2ME Mutually Exclusive Permissions

I am running a MIDlet on
    Nokia N95
    Signed with Thawte Certificate
    Requesting permissions in JAD:
    MIDlet-Permissions: javax.microedition.io.PushRegistry, javax.microedition.io.Connector.sms, javax.microedition.io.Connector.socket, javax.wireless.messaging.sms.receive, javax.wireless.messaging.sms.send

On N95 the device does not allow me to set both of the following permissions to "Always allowed":
    - Network access
    - Application auto-start
    The device warns that setting either to "Always allowed" will change the setting of the other. This has not been an issue on other devices.

The entire purpose of this particular MIDlet is to wake up in the background via PushRegistry Alarm or SMS and automatically communicate over the Internet.

1. Is there anyway around this mutually exclusive limitation? (i.e. Different certificate from carrier or other source)

2. How does one determine from documentation if this limitation is in place?

3. Will the Nokia 6110 Navigator suffer from this problem?

- Thank you, David Manpearl dmanpearl_at_pixelmonks_dot_com

Nokia Developer Champion
    the Blanket setting for Application Auto Invocation and the Blanket setting for Net Access are mutually exclusive. This constraint is to prevent a MIDlet suite from auto-invoking itself, then accessing a chargeable network without the user being aware. If the user attempts to set either the Application Auto Invocation or the Network Function group to “Blanket” when the other Function group is already in “Blanket” mode, the user MUST be prompted as to which of the two Function groups shall be granted “Blanket” and which Function group shall be granted “Session”.
    That is recommend since MIDP 2.0 day one, not repeated in JTWI but in MSA. All you could do is operator/manufacturer domain level. For which phone was this no issue?

Regular Contributor

Re: J2ME Mutually Exclusive Permissions

Traud,

Thank you for the great response.

You mentioned "operator/manufacturer domain level". I was under the impression that these are separate domain levels. Do you know how to determine if this issue can be solved by an "Operator Level Certificate" provided by the carrier? I would like to know exactly what to request from our carrier as our relationship is such that they will provide if they can.

As far as your other question: "For which phone was this no issue?". I gave you mistaken information. I did not simultaneously test Network access and Application auto-start on another device.

- David

Nokia Developer Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmanpearl
    You mentioned "operator/manufacturer domain level". I was under the impression that these are separate domain levels.
    You are correct, I forgot a small little ‘s’ in ‘levels’.
    Do you know how to determine if this issue can be solved by an "Operator Level Certificate" provided by the carrier?
    No I cannot. This depends on whether there is/are (a) operator domain level root certificate(s) on your device (or SIM) and what permissions this/those give(s). Normally, operator domain level gives blanket for everything so there is no exclusive issue, normally.
    I would like to know exactly what to request from our carrier
    Operator level signing for Java MIDlets.
    Either they do not understand what you mean or they help you. First check whether there are any certificates for code signing from your operator on your device.

Hi davidmanpearl,

Actually I am facing a problem that is related with your question.
    Can you please answer me that whether it is possible that we read and write the data from phone without giving exclusive permission to application. My application is signed by Versign. But after installing application I have to give application access as always allowed to read data, write data, network access and multimedia recording.

Is it possible the we don't give exclusive permission manually and it run after installing with asking permission. Or any other type of certificate is needed for that.

Thanx
    Vishal
    Regards,

Vishal

Regular Contributor

Vishal,

The answer to your question is "No." It is not possible to remove the questions altogether with your VeriSign Certificate. Your VeriSign Code Signing Certificate makes you a "Trusted Third Party" developer. To remove the questions completely, you would need an Operator or Manufacturer Certificate. Requires agreement with Carrier.

What your "Trusted Third Party" domain gives you is the ability to allow the users to set some of the permissions to "Always allow". And, some APIs cannot be accessed at all without a Certificate. For example, if you want to write or read data in the filesystem on the memory card with JSR-75 (instead of the RecordStore), you will need to sign your MIDlet with the VeriSign Certificate and request the appropriate permission in the JAD. Users will still have to set "Always ask", "Ask first time", etc.

- David

Hi,

One more problem is there regarding the signing.
    Actually any of the s60 3rd edition phones are not allowing me to give permission as "always allowed" and also there is no option to select "always allowed".

What may be the reasons for that and wt is the solution for this problem

Thanks

Vishal
    Regards,

Vishal

Nokia Developer Champion

Are you talking about signed applications and what API group settings you are talking about? Also which phones (any S60 3rd Edition phones) you are talking about?

On those S60 3rd Edition phones I have tested "always allowed" is available for signed MIDlets to all API groups except messaging.
    For untrusted MIDlet this option is not available to any of the API groups.

Hartti

Hi,
    I've got a problem with the same sort.
    We bought a Thawte code signing certificate for JavaSoft.
    I signed our midlet with carbide j, put it on our server and started installing. It works fine in N80 and 6021 but the N95 won't let me install the midlet. It's complaining about an error with the certificate.

Does anybody know what the problem is?

Hi hartti,

I am using N73 & E70 (Symbian s60 3rd edition phones). But it don't have option as always allowed. My application is signed by verisign certificate. I also tried some application which are signed by Thwate certificate. But they are behaving same like our application. These application also don't show the "always allow" option in above phone.

Please do let me know if you have any idea about that.

Thanks
    Vishal
    Regards,

Vishal

Nokia Developer Champion

Vishal,

You did not yet answer to one important part of my qyuestions:
    What is the APi access group you are talking about (which does not have the always allowed available)? Messaging? Write user data? What?

Hartti

Nokia Developer Champion

klapio,

Have you checked that the N95 has the Thawte certificate in the certificate store and that it is set to allow MIDlet signing?

Hartti

Okay. We got the problem solved with N95. It seems that when you disable online checks. The Midlet installs perfectly.
    Go figure...
    Well I don't care why it works as long as it works.

Hi hartti

I am using most of the APIs like file read, file write, Multimedia recording and playing. Socket read write, PIM API, SMS APIs but event I am unable to see the "always allowed" option in my Nokia N73 and Nokia E70 phones.

If the same application I try to transfer in S40 3rd Edition then it is having option as always allowed in my Nokia 6233 and Nokia 6300..

Waiting for reply

Thanks

Vishal
    Regards,

Vishal

No reply for my question.
    Please help me.
    Regards,

Vishal