Discussion Board

Closed Content List (CCL)

Nokia is currently supporting a forward-lock solution called the Nokia Closed Content List (CCL) in all devices. With the introduction of OMA DRM 1.0 technology, the existing solution will be modified to ensure a flexible transition period for content providers to adapt to OMA DRM 1.0. The solution will eventually be removed from Nokia devices when OMA DRM 1.0 is widely adopted.
    OMA DRM 1.0 was approved in June 2004 and is already implemented in over 550 models of mobiles. We are currently seeing the deployment of OMA DRM 2.0 in mobiles from several manufacturers, and have been seeing such implementations since the later parts of 2005.

There are currently multiple years and over half a thousand phones of precedence for OMA DRM 1.0 being widely adopted. My feedback to Nokia: Remove the legacy CCL from devices starting as soon as possible.

I previously developed proprietary applications for S60, but convinced my entire organization to switch to Windows Mobile for just this reason. With the release of the Nokia N95 I very much want to love Symbian, but when I cannot transfer sis files and jar files I created through the N95's bluetooth capabilities, I get frusterated.

I bought the N95 hoping that I can live with CCL, or that it would be gone as the verbiage of the DRM Developer's Guide suggested that it should be. I sadly cannot recommend wide scale deployment of this device in my organization until this hindrance is removed. With it's multinational capabilities, WiFi, exceptional camera, and internal GPS it would be perfect if it were not for the legacy CCL.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Closed Content List (CCL)

I agree that it should be time to remove the CCL.

In any case, I can't see that as a show-stopper (it is not that often that I'd like to send a file to someone). Sounds like you're have some reason or reasons to do it so often that it bothers you. I suspect that's not the case for most people.

It is not so much that I would need to do this often, but that I should be able to do this as frequently, or infrequently as needed given any particular situation. Truth be told, I am fed-up with WinCE and the PocketPC architecture, and am looking for an alternative.

I have never liked Palm, and there are no appropriately polished implementations of Linux that I have come across for the mobile platform that are completely friendly to novice users that I might be giving this to.

Symbian S60 fills a niche that makes it nice for non-powerusers that I need to have uniform levels of access and connectivity. Should I not be on site, and have to walk someone through transferring a sis or jar from one mobile to the other by jumping through a minimum of two programs on each mobile, I would be annoyed, and thus the avoidance for now.

I realize that the N95 is not technically a business handset, and so I would already be missing out on the Blackberry Connect software. Therefore the CCL is more of the straw that is breaking the camels back.

I figure, with luck, the Blackberry Connect will come in time, and there are alternatives. The CCL, however, will only change when the user community makes it clear that it is time.

Lets face it, it has made it through years, and revisions of the DRM Developer's Guide with the same verbiage...

Nokia seems to have forgotten that it is even there.

Nokia Developer Champion

Even if Nokia's BlackBerry client ( http://businesssoftware.nokia.com ) is for Eseries devices only (as far as I know), there is the DataViz RoadSync ( http://www.dataviz.com ) client that does the same and works on other models, too. RoadSync isn't free, though.