Discussion Board

Is there a max size for an installed sis package?

Hello all,

Our application has about 20 localized resource files and maybe 30 other files that are installed via sis package.

We've just integrated the full batch of of 40 languages for each of the 20 localized resource files, growing our .sisx file to 3.5 MB, and suddenly installation is flaky on the E61i.

Is it possible that our package is too big? Any suggestions for fixing this, or perhaps working around it?

Thanks,

Bob Nilsen
    Nokia ES MSU

Super Contributor

Re: Is there a max size for an installed sis package?

I don't think 3.5 MB is a problem for the installer. The installer should be capable of handling larger SIS file.

I think the problem is because you have too many files in your SIS file. If I understand it correctly, you have 830 files inside your sis file. This will definitely slow down the installation time, especially if you install it to the memory card.

My suggestion is try to reduce the number of files in the SIS file. For example, you mention you have 20 resource files for every language. Is it possible to combine some resource files into one?

From my experience, it's better to have one big file rather than several smaller files.

Antony

Thanks for the response, Anthony!

By combining our resources into one big file won't we negatively impact resource load time during execution? We've got a total of about 800 localized strings across the 20 files.

What's your gut feel on this?

Super Contributor

Good question. I haven't done a research about this. It depends on how Symbian store and access the resource files (unfortunately I don't have the details on this).

However, personally I would prefer to have one big file than several smaller files. Why? By having one big file, I only need to maintain one file handle. I only need to open and close the file once. For reading the file, I can just move the file pointer around.

There may be performance hit because of the big file. However, as you may notice, if you are using 800 files in the sis file, the installation will simply take too long. What you need may be doing a small research, what is the optimal settings between the number of files and the size of files.

Good luck... :)

Antony

Cool, thanks!

This is great!

Red face Re: Is there a max size for an installed sis package?

hi ..
    i am face a problem which is much similar to this kind but not exactly the same ..
    i.e. my application is having a very huge amount of code which is quite big computation to be done , in which i have segregated the all the functionality in to different header files , and if i integrate all the files the application is not able to enter any of the functions.
    is there any limit for the code size in symbian !!!!!
    can any body suggest what would be problem and how to resolve this issue

thanks in advance

Vishnu