Discussion Board

S60 3rd for .NET tools

Hi!
    What version of Symbian C++ SDK and carbide.vs should I use to make development possible under Microsoft Visual studio?
    I have both "2003" and "2005" MS Visual Studios. I've also downoaded "carbide.vs 2.0.1" and Symbian C++ SDK S60 3rd FP1.
    But using such set of tools, I can add only "WINSCW" and "GCCE" in "Project->SDK Configuration Manager", since I need "WINS" and "ARMI" builds.

Super Contributor

Re: S60 3rd for .NET tools

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeniy Kiver
    Hi!
    What version of Symbian C++ SDK and carbide.vs should I use to make development possible under Microsoft Visual studio?
    I have both "2003" and "2005" MS Visual Studios. I've also downoaded "carbide.vs 2.0.1" and Symbian C++ SDK S60 3rd FP1.
    But using such set of tools, I can add only "WINSCW" and "GCCE" in "Project->SDK Configuration Manager", since I need "WINS" and "ARMI" builds.
    You only req. VS 2003 and carbide.vs 2.0.1

WINSCW - > Is Equivalent to WinS only differance is it will use Nokia 86 compile instade of using VS Compiler. Both WINSCW and WINS are Builds for Emulator.

ARMI - > As you downloaded New SDK[i.e V3.x] ARMI is not Present. These SDKs only Support the Following Builds For Device.
    1. GCCE . Which Uses CSL Arm toolchain Which comes free with SDK.
    2. ARMv5. Which Uses Commercial ARM's RVCT Compiler.

Thanks for reply, one thing I still don't understand: is it possible now(with tools I have) build .sis file and run it on actual device?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeniy Kiver
    Thanks for reply, one thing I still don't understand: is it possible now(with tools I have) build .sis file and run it on actual device?
    Yes. You Can make a sis and Install on a device with out any problem.

Note: As you are using S60 3rd FP1 SDK you may only install on a S60 3rd Edition Phones.

Thanks a lot!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao
    Yes. You Can make a sis and Install on a device with out any problem.

Note: As you are using S60 3rd FP1 SDK you may only install on a S60 3rd Edition Phones.
    In fact you should only install on S60 3rd Edition FP1 phones ;)

Regular Contributor

So you don't need necessarily need the RVCT compiler? The gcce contained in the SDKs can also compile programs to run on the 3rd Edition devices? What are the benefits of RVCT?

And what are the maintenance releases of the SDKs?

Itomuta, but you may install applications made with 3rd Edition SDK ( without FP1 ) on 3rd Edition FP1 devices, too, right?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by victorh81
    So you don't need necessarily need the RVCT compiler? The gcce contained in the SDKs can also compile programs to run on the 3rd Edition devices? What are the benefits of RVCT?

And what are the maintenance releases of the SDKs?

Itomuta, but you may install applications made with 3rd Edition SDK ( without FP1 ) on 3rd Edition FP1 devices, too, right?

Thanks
    Yes RVCT is not Neccessary but good to have.

Maintenance releases are with some bug fixes to previous release not new release.

Yes you can install all apps compiled with SDKs lower then S60 v3 FP1 on FP1 devices.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao
    Yes you can install all apps compiled with SDKs lower then S60 v3 FP1 on FP1 devices.
    To avoid confusion: Applications built with S60 2nd Edition SDK [FP1 | FP2 | FP3] cannot be installed on S60 3rd Edition [MR | FP1] based devices. S60 3rd [MR] applications however are indeed compatible with the S60 3rd FP1 devices.