Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Problem in installing S60 3rd Edition FP1 SDK

Hi,
    I am new to Symbian SDK and trying to install S60 3rd Edition FP1 SDK on my machine. S60-SDK-200634-3.1-Cpp-f.1090b

I have alerady installed java 1.6.0 and carbide C++ Express v1.1 successfully.
    But when I try to install the SDK I get the following error, while selecting the installation directory,

"There is not enough space to install these option(s). Please free up some disk space or modify your selections."

There are two things I must tell about it,
    1. My Windows System drive is not the usual "C:" but instead it is "J:". Hence when it shows the default installation path as "C:\Symbian\9.2", I changed it to "J:\Symbian\9.2". Also I have installed carbide to J:\Symbian folder itself.
    I even tried by using D, E, H drives on my hardisk, but I got same error.
    My J:, D:, E:, H: all have disk space more that 5GB each.

2. I did not understand what are the selection options, the error message is talking about. I did not see any kind of selection options to choose.

I tried by creating an empty file "S60_3rd.xml" in the same folder where my setup is present. But unfortunately even that did not help.

My PC's Operating system is Windows XP Professiosnal SP2.
    I am logged in as Administrator
    I tried with both McAfee enabled and disabled.

Please Help.
    Raghavendra

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Problem in installing S60 3rd Edition FP1 SDK

You have to provide a writable c: drive to the installer. The good old subst DOS command still works on Windows XP, or you can also try mapping a USB pendrive temporarily.

Smile Re: Problem in installing S60 3rd Edition FP1 SDK

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_
    You have to provide a writable c: drive to the installer. The good old subst DOS command still works on Windows XP, or you can also try mapping a USB pendrive temporarily.
    It worked! I mapped C: to a temporary folder and the installation started.
    Thanks a Lot.
    Raghavendra

Regular Contributor

I have a strange problem.

I installed the Active Perl for 64bit machine (as I have a Windows X64 edition and machine).

Then I've installed the S60 3rd FP1 CPP SDK. After that I've installed the Carbide v1.3 and I opened one of my existing projects. The surprise was with the perl.. it wasn't working well.

Then I've looked thru the release notes of carbide and it said that it will only work with a specific version, so I've uninstalled everything, installed the correct version of perl and then I tried to install again the SDK.

So now is the problem. Instead of installing in the normal directory "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_FP1" it adds a "_2" at the end of the name.

I've removed the registry file from the "C:\Nokia\registry" folder and then I've tried again.. now it wants to add a "_3" to the directory name.

How can I fix this? I want my system to forget about old SDK installations that I did uninstall.

Thanks,
    omar

Lightbulb Re: Problem in installing S60 3rd Edition FP1 SDK

Have you tried the Windows XP's System Restore Option?

The _<number> originates from the "real" registry. Dig into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nokia and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symbian.

Regular Contributor

The Registry was the first thing where I've looked for, but I didn't find anything there. I looked in the location that you've told me and I didn't find anything.

I did the windows restore but this is not a great option as I've lost all the programs installed after the SDK and it was a big waste of time reinstalling everything.

The SDK should uninstall clean without leaving such problems. I think Symbian should take more care about this.

Thanks for the replies anyway,
    Omar

Quote Originally Posted by omarfr View Post
    I did the windows restore but this is not a great option as I've lost all the programs installed after the SDK and it was a big waste of time reinstalling everything.
    Well of course restore would restore completely..thats what its meant to do..restore to the same state to which you ask it to regardless of how much good work you have done after that one wrong turn.

But anyway if you are so worried about the _1 or _2 leading, there is a small work around. In devices.xml check the place you have the device id "S60_3rd_FP1_1" (could be 2 or 3 or 4), change it into "S60_3rd_FP1" and save file.

Remember not to modify the EPOCROOT for that SDK. With this workaround though, the EPOCROOT would still be the newer installation.

Well, all said and done, it would be more confusing doing mappings. I would have rather stuck to using it as it is ;)

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the hint, I'll take into consideration the devices.xml (for those who don't know where it is -> "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian") file next time I have such a problem.

One thing that I've noticed after all this install/reinstall/uninstall troubble is that from time to time when I want to rebuild / run the project in Carbide c++ v1.3 it blocks on refreshing the workspace and I have to restart Carbide to make it work again.

Did anyone have the same problem before?

Thanks,
    Omar

One thing that I've noticed after all this install/reinstall/uninstall troubble is that from time to time when I want to rebuild / run the project in Carbide c++ v1.3 it blocks on refreshing the workspace and I have to restart Carbide to make it work again.

Did anyone have the same problem before?

Thanks,
    Omar

Can you elaborate on that ?

Regular Contributor

Well, I start the build or debug sequence for a project and then the process of building / debugging stops at 16 % and if I open the progress windows it says that it is "refreshing project". I wait and never finishes. I have to restart carbide to build/debug again.

Well, I start the build or debug sequence for a project and then the process of building / debugging stops at 16 % and if I open the progress windows it says that it is "refreshing project". I wait and never finishes. I have to restart carbide to build/debug again.
    Well, I had just installed FP1 this afternoon, and it happened once, but that may be purely due to other reasons. Cannot confirm that as a pattern atleast till tomorrow ;)

Regular Contributor

I can confirm it happens to me everytime after 3-4 builds/debugs :)

Regular Contributor

I can confirm it happens to me everytime after 3-4 builds/debugs :)
    It happen to me, and from then on, i can't pass this phase in the compiling process.

anyone solved it?

Quote Originally Posted by nire123 View Post
    It happen to me, and from then on, i can't pass this phase in the compiling process.

anyone solved it?
    Well, check if your emulator has been running. Close the emulator if it is running. It can happen in that situation sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast