Discussion Board

pls help me wrt browser on 3250

Hi,

I want people to be able to download and install my application (sis file) via the web (as well as other methods).

I can do it using an N70 without any problem, but am having trouble with my 3250.

If I use the pre-installed web browser ('Services'), it downloads but then says installing the file is not supported.

So, I try to download and install the new nokia browser, it installs ok, but it doesn't run at all. I could have sworn I had it installed and running previously, but it doesn't run now. When I try to run it, it pauses for a moment (ie can't move the selected icon), but then it frees up (ie can move the selected icon), but the browser doesn't run at all.

Can someone help?

Max.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: pls help me wrt browser on 3250

1: Make sure you've for the 3250 created a signed .sisx installation file using the S60 3rd Edition SDK (S60 2nd Edition binaries and installation packages will not work on an S60 3rd Ed. device like the 3250).

2: Make sure you've configured your web server for the correct MIME type for .sisx files (if the file is for S60 3rd Ed. devices, name it .sisx and not .sis): x-epoc/x-sisx-app

(For .sis files, not .sisx files, the MIME type is application/vnd.symbian.install)

Quote Originally Posted by petrib
    1: Make sure you've for the 3250 created a signed .sisx installation file using the S60 3rd Edition SDK (S60 2nd Edition binaries and installation packages will not work on an S60 3rd Ed. device like the 3250).

2: Make sure you've configured your web server for the correct MIME type for .sisx files (if the file is for S60 3rd Ed. devices, name it .sisx and not .sis): x-epoc/x-sisx-app

(For .sis files, not .sisx files, the MIME type is application/vnd.symbian.install)
    I forgot to mention. It's a SIS file - ie the filename ends in .sis. It installs when I send it via bluetooth or via USB without any problem.

It also installs on an N73 using the web browser without any problem.

The version for S60 2nd edition installs fine on an N70.

So, I think this shows that the web server is fine.

What I'm not sure about is if the 3250's web browser is expecting a .sisx file? I don't know what the difference is - I've always used .sis for both 3rd and 2nd edition without any trouble...

Nokia Developer Champion

.sisx is supposed to be used for Symbian 9 signed files, and all S60 3rd Edition .sis packages need to be signed (or they won't install).

When you download through the browser, the MIME type determines what the phone does with the file. If you rename the file to .sisx and define the MIME type correctly for your web server, what happens then on the 3250 (try both the "Services" browser and "Web")? And, when you download using the web browser, are you using an Internet access point or a WAP access point?

Quote Originally Posted by petrib
    .sisx is supposed to be used for Symbian 9 signed files, and all S60 3rd Edition .sis packages need to be signed (or they won't install).

When you download through the browser, the MIME type determines what the phone does with the file. If you rename the file to .sisx and define the MIME type correctly for your web server, what happens then on the 3250 (try both the "Services" browser and "Web")? And, when you download using the web browser, are you using an Internet access point or a WAP access point?
    Renaming the sis file to sisx seemed to make the difference. It didn't seem to matter what access point I used, though I'm not sure which is WAP and which isn't.

The services browser seemed awefully flakey though. Sometimes it would just come up with a blank page. Other times, the page looked ok, but I couldn't select any links. Some combination of clearing cache (multiple times) and reloading seemed to sometimes fix it - it wasn't predictable though.

Interesting that it has to be sisx. Worth knowing for sure

Thanks!