Discussion Board

Using the N95 as an ad-hoc IAP

Hi, I'm new here, I'm a student getting into mobile development yada yada.

I recently had this idea that since I have an N95 with a no-transfer-limit hsdpa internet connection, and I also have a Nintendo DS, I'd like to use the N95 to provide a bridge to the internet via Wi-Fi, since both devices support them. This would also be cool to have for my laptop, as it doesn't have Bluetooth connectivity.

I haven't been able to find any documentation or discussion about doing this, so my questions are:

Is the Wi-Fi hardware in the N95 capable of serving as an ad-hoc internet access point?
    If so, is there an interface for it in the S60 SDK that I could use to create bridging software?

I know that at least some S80 devices can do it. The DS is capable of running as an ad-hoc IAP, but there's currently no homebrew API available for it, and I would rather work on setting the N95 up as an IAP so I could use its 3G internet access for other devices as well.

Super Contributor

Re: Using the N95 as an ad-hoc IAP

No such built-in router feature/software.

However, you might use an intermediate PC as the router, and the phone as a modem.

Would it be possible to create the needed software for it though? What I mean is, is the Wi-Fi hardware in the N95 capable of it with the right software? I'm trying to learn network programming and a project like that would be a great motivator for me. :)

I am also interested in the answer to this question. Although more interested to know if two N95's could talk to each other in an ad-hoc fashion. Any advice about where to look in the API docs would be welcome.

This looks like a very interesting concept. The ability to use an N95 as the access point with a GPRS connection to the internet would make remote access possible for all sorts of devices.

Any clever people out there with an idea about how to progress this ?

You can use your N95 in ad hoc mode, with a static IP address. Its easy. Make sure no else you uses that address.
    Using the phone as an IAP is harder, because you can't relay DHCP traffic through your phone.
    If you use static IPs on every end, you could write an application that as a server and rebroadcast all traffic. You then would need to make your phone work as proxy, with a few little tweaks that match the source address and reverse them. Should be doable, but tricky.

/Anders

Hi all. Pleased to see the interest for the topic, as I had the exact same idea and was hoping some S60 connoisseurs in here would help clarify whether it's possible or not.

As I see it, it would be fairly simple to let the phone act as a proxy on certain predefined ports.

However, a far more attractive option would be to let the phone act as a conventional broadband router by handing out IP adresses on the WLAN interface using DHCP, and then do actual network address translation (NAT, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network...s_translation).

I'd also be really interested in this, though I have no coding skills. Personally, I'd like for my Ipod Touch to be able to use my N95's GPRS connection to access the web/wifi music store - I can see this being extremely helpful for a lot of people now that unlimited data plans are being offered by T-Mobile, O2, etc.

Has there been any movement on this idea?

Hi,

The same here - i'd be very interested to hear any developments as i'd love to be able to get my iPod Touch online via Wifi over my mobile.

Thanks

Ian