Discussion Board

Problem with incoming SIP calls on Nokia E-61

We are experiencing a problem on the Nokia E-61 (firmware version 2.0618.06.05 / 14-07-06 / RM-89) with incoming SIP calls where the incoming INVITE does not contain an SDP.

Here is the SIP call flow involved:

1. E-61 receives an INVITE from the Remote SIP Endpoint, no SDP provided
    2. E-61 sends 100/Trying to the Remote SIP Endpoint
    3. E-61 sends 180/Trying to the Remote SIP Endpoint
    4. E-61 sends 200/OK to the Remote SIP Endpoint that contains the SDP of the handset
    5. E-61 receives ACK from the Remote SIP Endpoint that contains the SDP of the remote.

The SIP signaling looks good. However, after the Nokia E-61 receives the ACK (step 5), the RTP channel between the two endpoints does not appear to be setup properly (in both directions); we can hear noise in one direction (Remote SIP Endpoint->Nokia E-61) and silence in the other direction. You will find attached to this message the Ethereal/Wireshark trace of the SIP exchange (incoming.pcap) between the two endpoints.

It might be worth noting that we also installed the latest firmware (version 3.0633.09.04 / 20-11-06 / RM-89) on another Nokia E-61 device and the device reboots upon accepting the incoming SIP call (using the same conditions as stated above).

Please note that the Nokia E-61 handles incoming SIP calls with SDP (in the incoming INVITE) and outgoing SIP calls just fine; the RTP channel is setup properly in both directions.

Thanks.

Martin.

Exclamation Re: Problem with incoming SIP calls on Nokia E-61

Hi,
    I've experienced a very similar problem with my E-61 (FW version 3.0633.09.04).
    My configuration is like following:

E-61 (A - user ) => Asterisk (v. 1.4) => E-61 (B - user)

I use as SIP carrier only UMTS network.

A and B user registered properly: on the server side I see them as registered within their IP address.

If user A(B) calls user B(A) just after their successfully registration on the server it goes all right and the QoS is great!

But after few minutes still registered if user A(B) send INVITE to user B(A) the called user doesn't receive any incoming SIP call: the INVITE channel become a zombie channel.

Setting qualify=10000, I see that when a registered peer becomes unreacheble that peer doesn't answer to any invite (but it's still registered and in 3G network field !!)

any timeout to set?? any parameter that the SIP client expect from the Asterisk server? Any bug in the build-in Nokia SIP client? any bug in my architecture?
    How I can resolve it???

thankyou,
    frodo

Question Re: Problem with incoming SIP calls on Nokia E-61

Ok, I've tested my E-61 for a long period - more than 24 hour.
    Looking at asterisk messages, it seems that something periodically appen and the phone alternate between the two states: Reacheble and Unreacheble.

It goes in Unreacheble state and there it stays for about 50 min, then it wakes up (Reacheble) for about 2-4-5 minutes (it depends on qualify value) and after it loops on the two states as before explained.

It may be the E-61 power saving mode to generate this behaviour... anyone can suggest me if exist a way to not save energy!!

Some other suggestion about solving this issue

thanks a lot,
    frodo

Re: Problem with incoming SIP calls on Nokia E-61

Quote Originally Posted by frodobigfoot
    Ok, I've tested my E-61 for a long period - more than 24 hour.
    Looking at asterisk messages, it seems that something periodically appen and the phone alternate between the two states: Reacheble and Unreacheble.

It goes in Unreacheble state and there it stays for about 50 min, then it wakes up (Reacheble) for about 2-4-5 minutes (it depends on qualify value) and after it loops on the two states as before explained.

It may be the E-61 power saving mode to generate this behaviour... anyone can suggest me if exist a way to not save energy!!

Some other suggestion about solving this issue

thanks a lot,
    frodo
    I've experienced the same problem with a commercial SIP provider "Cheapnet". the phone still alive and under 3G field becomes unreacheble!!!

Then I tried to experience SIP on WiFi carrier and it goes all ok: reacheble as I'm logged in and I was able to make and receive call when ever I want ...

So the problem could be in the UMTS carrier and in its standby handling.

any suggestion solving this issue???

If something wrong in my explanation, some clarify... tell me, please

thanks
    frodo

Same problem with Nokia E51 version: 100.34.20
    I can make VoIP calls with no problem, but I can't receive 2 or 3 minutes after registration!

I'm using Betamax providers (Voipbuster and Voipcheap).

I'have this problem in WLAN. In UMTS It's OK, because my Cell Operator give me a Public IP. My WLAN router have NAT activation, so I get a private IP on the E51.

Any ideas what could be?

Rgds,
    Tomaz.
    Last edited by tvfmc; 2008-09-01 at 00:29. Reason: UPDATE INF.

Hi,
    Is there any way to change registiration timer on E51?
    We faced similar problem on Cisco devices then we changed the timer so the problem is solved.

Thanks in advance.