Discussion Board

Branding. How-to?

Hi,

I’m trying to find out how to create a branding (a la Orange, Vodafone etc.) for Nokia S60 devices, particularly I would like to create a custom theme, preinstall apps, add some contacts, bookmarks/favourites etc..

As a newbie to SW Development for mobile devices I did some research and found out that I could create a custom theme with carbide.ui S60 Theme Edition, but for all other things I’m stuck and not sure how to do it.
    I read about the possibility to create a custom firmware, but though it seems to give the broadest range of customization possibilities it appears to me as a too heavyweight approach (need for sources, maintenance, etc.). I also could think of writing an installation script/app that would add the contacts and bookmarks, install other applications and set settings if necessary.

I would really appreciate if somebody could give me some advices and hints about the right way to achieve what I’m trying to do.

Also the ways for final deployment to the device is of big interest to me. As it might be relevant: the number of devices to brand would be around 1000

Thanks
    Philipp

Super Contributor

Re: Branding. How-to?

Many if the customization/branding options are only available for doing prior to the device being manufactured (separate firmware variant must be created in cooperation with Nokia).

For only 1000 devices, you're unlikely to get in-factory branding. In other words, you have to buy the devices, and install and run your own customization app on each and every device.

Some of things might be possible through configuring a device, then using PC Suite to make a backup, and then restoring the backup to the 999 other devices.

Talking Re: Branding. How-to?

Petrib, the solution with customizing one device, then creating a backup to reproduce on all other devices is so simple as genious, I'm loving it. Thank you a lot!!!