Discussion Board

How to read incoming signals from antenna

Hi to all,
    do u know if there is in Symbian - Carbide C++ a method that can read all incoming signals directy from the device antenna? Or do you know where i can find some info about how Symbian manage the mobile antenna?

Thanks - Francesco

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to read incoming signals from antenna

What kind of 'signals' do you expect exactly?

bit...something like a sniffer..what the antenna is receiving from the environment (base station and other phones) ..and if there is a way to set the antenna frequency.. or where i can find info about how Symbian manages these kind of operations

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: How to read incoming signals from antenna

Quote Originally Posted by ingtabby View Post
    Hi to all,
    do u know if there is in Symbian - Carbide C++ a method that can read all incoming signals directy from the device antenna? Or do you know where i can find some info about how Symbian manage the mobile antenna?

Thanks - Francesco
    Symbian is an Operating System whereas Carbide.c++ is an IDE. So both are totally different in nature but work cohesively to achieve desired things.

There are different parameters coming from Network tower, e.g: Cell Id, Signal Strength, different network parameters etc...

So if your goal is to extract such things with Symbian OS v9 and onwards then you should look into publicly available API, i.e: CTelephony.

Open Forum Nokia Wiki and search for "CTelephony". You would get enough good articles on the usage of it.

All the best,
    Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

hi kiran, thanks for your reply. I think that CTelephony can t help me. I want directly have access of all data that antenna receives, avoiding the normal path used by the system. Something like it s done by sniffing applications for WiFi protocol, that capture all packets transmitted in the range of antenna...

Most likely the thing you are asking is not possible, at least it is not possible with APIs available within public SDKs. I'm also rather sure if those APIs would exists they would not be S60 specific APIs, which means that, incase you want to have access to them, you would need to contact symbian for their partnering options.

damn.. i supposed this..because if they release something like this they could open the way for intercepting software..i think..maybe in the new neo1973 Freerunner on Openmoko system this will be available..there will be many risks for our privacy..i think.
    But with "partnering option" what do u mean? that i have to be a company and signing a contract with them?

But with "partnering option" what do u mean? that i have to be a company and signing a contract with them?
    You will find a section called 'Partner' on their site: www.symbian.com

Well, Symbian is going to send you back to the phone's manufacturer ... I think that the answer to your question is no, you cannot do it.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

ok..thanks for your replies..

if it were possible then wot would have been the purpose of platform security???

Super Contributor

Hi,

Previously in 2nd edition RSat api's etelsat.lib can be used for this purpose, example is NetMon avalaible at symbian freak website when i checked some years back. I think you need to observe the eventing machanism of Rsat api's to use it for 3rd edition. By the way RSat api's are not public in 3rd edition neither in 2nd edition phones.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Quote Originally Posted by farrukhraza View Post
    if it were possible then wot would have been the purpose of platform security???
    On a general note: Platform Security is intended to control the access to resources, not to restrict it. With proper capability association an API could be designed to allow access to each and every feature if a legitimate use case exists.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite