Discussion Board

Is PC Suite App necessary to get PC Connectivity SDK working?

Can anybody tell me, if the PC Connectivity SDK is dependant on the PC Suite application?

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Is PC Suite App necessary to get PC Connectivity SDK working?

One thing is for sure: The PC Connectivity SDK 3.0 is several years old, and precedes the current PC Suite generation (PC Suite v6.*).

Another thins is certain, too: There has been and is not going to be any updates for the PC Connectivity SDK 3.0 to support any newer phones, and it is unlikely that any current or new phones will have any consideration to what kind of connectivity mechanism the old PC Connectivity SDK 3.0 dependend on.

The PC Connectivity SDK might still depend on PC Suite versions that were current when the PC Connectivity SDK was current (i.e., PC Suite versions from 3-4 years ago).

For PC Suite v6.* of today (latest is v6.83.something) has its own API set in the PC Suite Connectivity API package (do not confuse that with the old PC Connectivity SDK).

The PC Suite API v1.1 is available on the public Forum Nokia side to anyone. It basically does just file transfer and sw installation.

For Forum Nokia PRO member organizations, a PC Suite API v3.0 is available (again, do not confuse it with the PC Connectivity SDK 3.0, even if they have the same version number). PC Suite API v3.0 has much more functionality (PIM, synch, etc.).

Apps using PC Suite API need either the full PC Suite (v6.*, probably best if it is one of the later versions; v6.7*, v6.8*) to be installed, or a suitable subset of PC Suite that could be included with the app using/depending on the API.

The latter part (a PC Suite API app without the full/actual PC Suite + using PC Suite API 3.0) requires the stuff from Forum Nokia PRO:
    https://pro.forum.nokia.com/register...p1.do?zoneId=1

Re: Is PC Suite App necessary to get PC Connectivity SDK working?

Hi Petrib,

Could you please through some light on how to use a subset of PC Suite in the Application (using PC Suite connectivity API) because i dont want my application to depend of Nokia PC Suite and I want it to be standalone...

Also what are additional functionalities supported by PC Suite Connectivity API 3.0 compared with version 1.1?

Thanks & Regards,
    Dinesh