Discussion Board

Compile Error: "Sorry, \epoc32\gcc\bin\as.exe is not supported in this release"

Hi, I have a problem compile in windows Vista using S60_3rd_MR_2 SDK and Carbide 1.2

I can compile the file in WINSCW but not in the GCCE

here´s the output:

***Building project "soundChange" for configuration "Phone Release (GCCE) [S60_3rd_MR_2]"

***Printing environment variables modified from default:
    PATH=C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\epoc32\tools;C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\epoc32\gcc\bin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYMBIAN\Tools;C:\PROGRA~1\CSLARM~1\BIN;C:\PROGRA~1\CSLARM~1\ARM-NO~1\BIN;C:\PROGRA~1\CSLARM~1\LIBEXEC\GCC\ARM-NO~1\342E9D~1.3;C:\Program Files\Nokia\Carbide.c++ v1.2\x86Build\Symbian_Tools\Command_Line_Tools;C:\Perl\bin\;C:\Perl\bin;C:\Borland\CBuilderX1.5\bin;C:\Borland\CBuilderX1.5\BorlandCPP\bin;C:\PROGRA~1\Borland\CBUILD~1\Bin;C:\PROGRA~1\Borland\CBUILD~1\Projects\Bpl;C:\Symbian\6.1\Shared\epoc32\gcc\bin;C:\Symbian\6.1\Shared\epoc32\tools;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\Tools
    EPOCROOT=\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\

Working Directory: C:/Symbian/Carbide/workspace/soundChange/group

*** Makefile structures up to date. Skipping 'bldmake bldfiles'

===Build Command = /c abld build GCCE UREL -v===
    C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c abld build GCCE UREL -v
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\EXPORT.make" EXPORT
    Nothing to do
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\GCCE.make" MAKEFILE
    perl -S makmake.pl -D \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\SOUNDCHANGE GCCE
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\GCCE.make" LIBRARY
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\SOUNDCHANGE\GCCE\SOUNDCHANGE.GCCE" LIBRARY
    make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Symbian/Carbide/workspace/soundChange/group'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for `LIBRARY'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Symbian/Carbide/workspace/soundChange/group'
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\GCCE.make" RESOURCE CFG=UREL
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\SOUNDCHANGE\GCCE\SOUNDCHANGE.GCCE" RESOURCEUREL
    perl -S emkdir.pl \Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\SOUNDCHANGE\GCCE\UREL
    Creating \Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\SOUNDCHANGE\GCCE\UREL
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\GCCE.make" TARGET CFG=UREL
    Sorry, \epoc32\gcc\bin\as.exe is not supported in this release. Please use a different
    device. Use 'devices' to view the available devices.
    ..\\src\\Soundchange.cpp:8: fatal error: error writing to -: Invalid argument
    compilation terminated.
    make[1]: *** [..\..\..\..\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\SOUNDCHANGE\GCCE\UREL\soundChange.o] Error 1
    make: *** [TARGETSOUNDCHANGE] Error 2
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\SOUNDCHANGE\GCCE\SOUNDCHANGE.GCCE" UREL
    Soundchange.cpp
    arm-none-symbianelf-g++ -Wall -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-unknown-pragmas -fexceptions -march=armv5t -mapcs -pipe -nostdinc -c -msoft-float -DNDEBUG -D_UNICODE -D__GCCE__ -D__SYMBIAN32__ -D__SERIES60_30__ -D__SERIES60_3X__ -D__GCCE__ -D__EPOC32__ -D__MARM__ -D__EABI__ -D__MARM_ARMV5__ -D__EXE__ -D__SUPPORT_CPP_EXCEPTIONS__ -D__MARM_ARMV5__ -D__PRODUCT_INCLUDE__=\"/Symbian/9.1/S60_3rd_MR_2/epoc32/include/variant/Symbian_OS_v9.1.hrh\" -x c++ -include /Symbian/9.1/S60_3rd_MR_2/EPOC32/INCLUDE/GCCE/GCCE.h -I ..\src -I ..\inc -I ..\..\..\..\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\include -I ..\..\..\..\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\epoc32\include\variant -I "C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\bin\..\lib\gcc\arm-none-symbianelf\3.4.3\include" -o ..\..\..\..\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\SOUNDCHANGE\GCCE\UREL\soundChange.o ..\src\Soundchange.cpp
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\soundChange\group\GCCE.make" FINAL CFG=UREL

***Build Complete

***Errors were detected in build. See the Problems or Console view for details.

Total Time: 1 sec

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    can you help me?

Super Contributor

Re: Compile Error: "Sorry, \epoc32\gcc\bin\as.exe is not supported in this release"

Could you please remove the following folders from your PATH settings?

C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\epoc32\tools;C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\epoc32\gcc\bin

Then use devices command to set your default SDK. For example:

devices -setdefault @S60_3rd_FP1:com.nokia.s60

Antony

Re: Compile Error: "Sorry, \epoc32\gcc\bin\as.exe is not supported in this release"

Hi, Antony

I tried to remove this to remove this to entries from path (in Windows enviroment and inside Carbide) but still the carbide adds this two directories. I used this sequence of menus:
    Project-Properties-Carbide build configurations-enviroment-path

I manage a workaround not conventional- put the file "as.exe" in \epoc32\gcc\bin\

Can you help to configure carbide 1.2 to remove this two paths?

Thanks,
    Fernando

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by fjorge_ht
    Hi, Antony

I tried to remove this to remove this to entries from path (in Windows enviroment and inside Carbide) but still the carbide adds this two directories. I used this sequence of menus:
    Project-Properties-Carbide build configurations-enviroment-path

I manage a workaround not conventional- put the file "as.exe" in \epoc32\gcc\bin\

Can you help to configure carbide 1.2 to remove this two paths?

Thanks,
    Fernando
    I'm not sure why you need to remove those paths? Moving the file as you did is probably the best solution, but I'm not sure why it's getting called. If you want to really modify the PATH go to the project properties "Carbide Build Configurations" page and view the Environment tab. There you can modify what you want. The line:

***Printing environment variables modified from default:

should give you a clue that this doesn't come from the system, it comes from Carbide.

Tim

Hi, Tim

If you say that copy the file is the best solution, I leave this way.

Thanks,
    Fernando

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by fjorge_ht
    Hi, Tim

If you say that copy the file is the best solution, I leave this way.

Thanks,
    Fernando
    I don't know if it's the best solution but that's what I'd do. I'm not really certain why it's getting called any ways, but if it works for you....

Tim

Super Contributor

Hi,
    There is now a temporary patch for this at Wiki discussed at
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...547#post327547

Good Luck
    Jim

Hi guys,
    I am getting the same problem on vista. However copying as.exe into my epoc32\gcc\bin doesnt resolve it. I cant find any reference in that wiki to this problem. Can someone help?
    Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts82 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am getting the same problem on vista. However copying as.exe into my epoc32\gcc\bin doesnt resolve it. I cant find any reference in that wiki to this problem. Can someone help?
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Forum!!

Paste your errors here. I suspect the problem may not be the same.
    Note: I presume you have applied the patches sugested in the wiki

Hi Neil,
    Thanks,
    I have applied the patches to cl_bpabi.pm. Here are the problems I am getting:

Code:
    ***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \stephen\coredumpconfig\group\ target gcce urel  
      make -r  -f "\EPOC32\BUILD\stephen\coredumpconfig\group\GCCE.make" TARGET CFG=UREL VERBOSE=-s
    Sorry, \epoc32\gcc\bin\as.exe is not supported in this release. Please use a different
    In file included from /epoc32/include/fbs.h:12,
                     from /epoc32/include/bitdev.h:9,
                     from /epoc32/include/w32std.h:13,
                     from /epoc32/include/coeaui.h:11,
                     from /epoc32/include/eikappui.h:9,
                     from /epoc32/include/aknappui.h:24,
                     from /epoc32/include/aknviewappui.h:24,
                     from /stephen/coredumpconfig/inc/coredumpconfigAppUi.h:13,
                     from /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/coredumpconfigdocument.cpp:11:
    /epoc32/include/bitmap.h: In member function `TBool CBitwiseBitmap::TSettings::IsDirtyBitmap() const':
    /epoc32/include/bitmap.h:359: warning: enumeral mismatch in conditional expression: `TTrue' vs `TFalse'
                     from /epoc32/include/coeaui.h:11,
                     from /epoc32/include/eikappui.h:9,
                     from /epoc32/include/aknappui.h:24,
                     from /epoc32/include/aknviewappui.h:24,
                     from /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/ccdccontainerview.cpp:10:
    /epoc32/include/bitmap.h: In member function `TBool CBitwiseBitmap::TSettings::IsDirtyBitmap() const':
    /epoc32/include/bitmap.h:359: warning: enumeral mismatch in conditional expression: `TTrue' vs `TFalse'
                     from /epoc32/include/coemain.h:10,
                     from /epoc32/include/stringloader.h:24,
                     from /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/ccdccontainer.cpp:11:
                     from /epoc32/include/coecntrl.h:11,
                     from /epoc32/include/eikbctrl.h:23,
                     from /epoc32/include/eikmenub.h:14,
                     from /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/coredumpconfigappui.cpp:10:
    In file included from /epoc32/include/eikmenub.h:18,
                     from /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/coredumpconfigappui.cpp:10:
    /epoc32/include/eikmenup.h: In member function `TBool CEikMenuPaneItem::IsScaleableText(const TDesC&) const':
    /epoc32/include/eikmenup.h:242: warning: enumeral mismatch in conditional expression: `TFalse' vs `TTrue'
    In file included from /epoc32/include/eikmenub.h:18,
                     from /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/ccdccontainerview.cpp:11:
    /epoc32/include/eikmenup.h: In member function `TBool CEikMenuPaneItem::IsScaleableText(const TDesC&) const':
    /epoc32/include/eikmenup.h:242: warning: enumeral mismatch in conditional expression: `TFalse' vs `TTrue'
    /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/coredumpconfigdocument.cpp: At global scope:
    /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/coredumpconfigdocument.cpp:56: fatal error: error writing to -: Invalid argument
    compilation terminated.
    make[1]: *** [\EPOC32\BUILD\stephen\coredumpconfig\group\COREDUMPCONFIG\GCCE\urel\coredumpconfigDocument.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/ccdccontainerview.cpp: At global scope:
    /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/ccdccontainerview.cpp:244: fatal error: error writing to -: Invalid argument
    compilation terminated.
    make[1]: *** [\EPOC32\BUILD\stephen\coredumpconfig\group\COREDUMPCONFIG\GCCE\urel\CCDCContainerView.o] Error 1
    /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/ccdccontainer.cpp: At global scope:
    /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/ccdccontainer.cpp:240: fatal error: error writing to -: Invalid argument
    compilation terminated.
    make[1]: *** [\EPOC32\BUILD\stephen\coredumpconfig\group\COREDUMPCONFIG\GCCE\urel\CCDCContainer.o] Error 1
    make: *** [TARGETCOREDUMPCONFIG] Error 2
    /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/coredumpconfigappui.cpp: At global scope:
    /stephen/coredumpconfig/src/coredumpconfigappui.cpp:140: fatal error: error writing to -: Invalid argument
    compilation terminated.
    Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts82 View Post
    Hi Neil,
    Thanks,
    I have applied the patches to cl_bpabi.pm.
    Thanks
    I must admit I have no experience with Vista, but a quick glance here said that there might be more patches you need to apply. Check the full article to check if you are missing something.

i got similar error and got fixed it by by placing the paths EPOCROOT\tools;EPOCROOT\gcc\bin; before C:\program files\common\Symbian in my path variable..,

Thanks rdeva for your advice!
    I've several SDKs installed in Vista and got the same error message.
    I moved the new SDK paths at the beginning of path
    variable and got the problem solved.