Discussion Board

Exclamation What is the best mobile choice to buy for VOIP Client Application project???!!!!

Dear Forum Members,

I'm Sherif from Al-Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt.

We are a team of 4 students in the 4th year of Systems&Computers Department, Faculty of Engineering, Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt.

We are developing a Mobile VOIP Client Application via (Bluettoth and Wi-Fi) using (SIP and RTP) protocols for Symbian OS mobile phones by Symbian C++ as our graduation project.

We may need to buy a mobile phone to test our project on it, there are many models have the technical specifications we need; but we don't know which model is the best choice to buy for the project:

(N80, N91, N92, N93, N93i, E60, E61, E61i, E65 and E70)

Please tell us what is the best choice to buy? and Why???!!!!!!

We are waiting for your reply as soon as possible.

Thank you very much,
    Regards,
    Sherif Ahmed Ibrahim

Re: What is the best mobile choice to buy for VOIP Client Application project???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by engineer_sherif
    Dear Forum Members,
    We are developing a Mobile VOIP Client Application via (Bluettoth and Wi-Fi) using (SIP and RTP) protocols for Symbian OS mobile phones by Symbian C++ as our graduation project.

We may need to buy a mobile phone to test our project on it, there are many models have the technical specifications we need; but we don't know which model is the best choice to buy for the project:

(N80, N91, N92, N93, N93i, E60, E61, E61i, E65 and E70)

Please tell us what is the best choice to buy? and Why???!!!!!!
    I would recommend a Nokia E61/E61i or E70..

The reason is the keyboard! Sins you properly have to do some testing, you will properly need to do some inputting directly on the phone, and these phones have a full keyboard instead of the “sms” keyboard.

Furthermore you will properly be able to find a SIM locked version of one of the 3 phones cheap (A used notsim-locked E61 goes for 120€ in Denmark). Don’t worry about the SIM lock, since you wont need it for WIFI / BT, the SIMlock only locks the GSM part, and all other functions works fine.

I would recommend you to look at the phones features before developing a new client! The SIP client that comes with the phones works fine! What doesn’t work fine, or make any sense, is that the phone cant use the Bluetooth device to connect to the internet, and therefore the SIP client can’t use the Bluetooth device to connect to the internet – tweaking this seems a bit easier then creating a new sip client.

Let us know how your project turns out.

Re: What is the best mobile choice to buy for VOIP Client Application project???!!!!

We will target Symbian (3rd edition_S60 9.1_SDK 3.0) to be able to useThe Audio Proxy Server (APS 2.3)

Nokia Developer Moderator

N80, E61 or E61i are the most commonly used devices for VoIP development for S60 3rd edition (Symbian 9.1)

Br