Discussion Board

Unhappy JSR 179 - format of NMEA extra info field on the real N95

Hi all,

I would like to use the JSR 179 Location API NMEA extra info field. For better understanding: the nmea extra info field contains GPS raw data in a so called NMEA standard format, these are GPS text lines (called NMEA sentences) all beginning with "$....".

My problem is that I receive different formatted data by the emulators (after initializing a locationProvider test data are delivered) and by the real device, in detail:
    1. S40 emulator: the text lines are formatted ending by "\n" (line feed)
    2. S60 3rd Ed emulator: the text lines are formated ending by "\r\n" (carriage return\line feed)
    3. N95: S60 style should apply but my parser seems not to work assuming that the lines are formatted by \r\n, S40 style also seems not to work on the real device!

Does anybody know how the JSR 179 extra info field is formatted on the real N95 device and if it really works fine? Other manufactuers have JSR179 with an extra info field containing always null (not implemented!), although a vaild location was determined by the GPS. Thanks for any hints...

Cheers
    Tom

Re: JSR 179 - format of NMEA extra info field on the real N95

I've got an N95, and when I call
    Code:
    location.getExtraInfo("application/X-jsr179-location-nmea")
    all I ever get back is null.

Have you tried checking if the extra info string is null before processing it? It's possible that the N95 doesn't give you the nmea string, as it hasn't got the data over bluetooth, but instead from the internal gps over some symbian location voodo.

Nick

Angry Re: JSR 179 - format of NMEA extra info field on the real N95

Hi Nick,

thanks a lot for that information! I always check if the return value is null and otherwise I try to get the needed parameters by the location object one by one. Because we have no N95 at hand we were never able to test that case on a real N95.

Unfortunately the Satellite information is part of the NMEA output (GSV sentence) and I don´t see any other method to get that info by JSR 179 than from the extra info field. But anyway I can live without that stuff but I don´t understand why all the Nokia emulators are delivering the informations...!!??? Additionally I have to check whether that field is an optional one.

Regards
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bt049088
    thanks a lot for that information! I always check if the return value is null and otherwise I try to get the needed parameters by the location object one by one.
    I'd be happy to give the code a quick whirl for you, pm me if interested. Only snag is that my N95 seems to have issues with setLocationListener, so I can't promise how well it'll work...

Unfortunately the Satellite information is part of the NMEA output (GSV sentence) and I don´t see any other method to get that info by JSR 179 than from the extra info field.
    I haven't found anywhere else that might give it. I get the impression that the JSR-179 guys left it off as they wanted to make it a "generic" location api, then ended up bolting the nmea stuff back on at the end, when they realised people didn't want it to be generic, but actually wanted more info!

But anyway I can live without that stuff but I don´t understand why all the Nokia emulators are delivering the informations...!!???
    I'm using the Sun WTK emulator on linux, and it never gives me anything (always null). The nokia midp emulator on windows never works for me, so I couldn't comment on that.

Nick

Super Contributor

I tried the call, but it wont work on the N95....
    Wont get a string or whatever, even if i try the other MIME types... only response I gte is if I sue text/plain MIME type and it will return a null...

On S60 3.1 using internal GPS message is formatted without any cr or lf - for whatever reason =)

I guess it's a bug, as if you try the PSY simulator (which is BTW expired in 2006 even in latest SDK, so you have to joggle phone's date to install it), it returns lines with \r\n...

Super Contributor

well at the end it worked :P
    passed the "application/X-jsr179-location-nmea" param and it turned out that the return value was around 500 chars... That meant it couldnt be pasted into my TextField which could only contain 150 chars... Instead of giving me an error, exception or planly trunking of the string it just wouldnt set the textfield String at all.. So after checking the length of the read data I reset the textfield length to 500 and now it pastes the nmea string correctly...

now I'd like to know if the internal GPS reveiver someway can tell my app when he loses all sattelites and/or fix :P