Discussion Board

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Re: 6131 NFC autostart on tag touch

nothing more to help?

i have attempted to implement the Record Listener method but im having problems, especially with this:

dm = DiscoveryManager.getInstance();
    try{
    dm.addTargetListener(listener, TargetType.RFID_Tag);
    }..........
    anyone know what exacly is "listener"? and how do i get....aslo, is this the right way to get all my tags to work?

Regular Contributor

You only need the RecordListener added to your Discovery Manager instance if you want to also read the NDEF record from an NDEF tag when you are launching your MIDlet. If you want to simply launch the MIDlet, then the Record Listener is not needed.

If you now have the Push Registry working with empty tags, you just need to change the Push Registry connection url and try to make it work for tags that have data on it.

If you want to use NDEF tags, you have to use the NDEF url for the Push Registry entry, which looks like that:
    <ndef url> ::= "ndef:"<type format>"?name="<ndef fqn>
    where
    <type format> ::= "rtd" | "external_rtd" | "mime" | "uri"
    <ndef fqn> ::= String of US_ASCII characters, the fully qualified name of the record type.

The same goes for NTIP tags, as I already discribed in earlier posts.

Do you know the record types for the data on your tags?
    Raluca Cindrea
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.nokia.com/nfc

Quote Originally Posted by Raluca_ View Post
    You only need the RecordListener added to your Discovery Manager instance if you want to also read the NDEF record from an NDEF tag when you are launching your MIDlet. If you want to simply launch the MIDlet, then the Record Listener is not needed.

If you now have the Push Registry working with empty tags, you just need to change the Push Registry connection url and try to make it work for tags that have data on it.

If you want to use NDEF tags, you have to use the NDEF url for the Push Registry entry, which looks like that:
    where
    <type format> ::= "rtd" | "external_rtd" | "mime" | "uri"
    <ndef fqn> ::= String of US_ASCII characters, the fully qualified name of the record type.

The same goes for NTIP tags, as I already discribed in earlier posts.

Do you know the record types for the data on your tags?

OK, i see...so i dont need the record listener...

what do u mean by record types? like "Identification" for example...

and also....<ndef fqn>, how do i find the fully qualified name of the record type?

Thanks very much.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by sdny View Post
    OK, i see...so i dont need the record listener...

what do u mean by record types? like "Identification" for example...

and also....<ndef fqn>, how do i find the fully qualified name of the record type?

Thanks very much.
    The record type name format defines the structure and the format for the record type name. Possible formats are MIME media types defined in RFC 2046, absolute URIs defined in RFC 3986, NFC Forum well-known types, defined in the NFC Forum RTDs, NFC Forum external types and unknown. The application developer may also define own record type names using naming conventions of NFC Forum RTDs. These record type names are categorized as NFC Forum external types.

You can find more info about this in the NFC SDK 1.1 Contactless Communication API documentation (if you have the SDK installed in the default location, this is the link where you can find all the info) and also in the Programmer's Guide (Chapter 6 Working with NDEF records).

If you download the zip at this link and compile and run the TagTestMIDlet there, you will have a good example of how to use Push Registry for NDEF Records.

Also, if you run this MIDlet on your phone and choose the ReadNDEF option, you can read your NDEF tags and you will have the Record Type displayed by the MIDlet.

The ReadNdefThread in the TagTestMidlet.java shows how to read the NDEFRecordType for NDEF Records.
    Raluca Cindrea
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.nokia.com/nfc

Result:
    Everything clearly.
    Static registration for empty TAG = error!?
    Dynamic registration for empty TAG = OK!?
    All other RFID or NDEF TAGs is not a problem.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mariosas View Post
    Result:
    Static registration for empty TAG = error!?
    What is the error? Is there a message?
    Raluca Cindrea
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.nokia.com/nfc

What is the error? Is there a message?
    I mean, who do not function the registration with jad, in midelt however already.
    for nfc:undefined_format

The record type name format defines the structure and the format for the record type name. Possible formats are MIME media types defined in RFC 2046, absolute URIs defined in RFC 3986, NFC Forum well-known types, defined in the NFC Forum RTDs, NFC Forum external types and unknown. The application developer may also define own record type names using naming conventions of NFC Forum RTDs. These record type names are categorized as NFC Forum external types.

You can find more info about this in the NFC SDK 1.1 Contactless Communication API documentation (if you have the SDK installed in the default location, this is the link where you can find all the info) and also in the Programmer's Guide (Chapter 6 Working with NDEF records).

If you download the zip at this link and compile and run the TagTestMIDlet there, you will have a good example of how to use Push Registry for NDEF Records.

Also, if you run this MIDlet on your phone and choose the ReadNDEF option, you can read your NDEF tags and you will have the Record Type displayed by the MIDlet.

The ReadNdefThread in the TagTestMidlet.java shows how to read the NDEFRecordType for NDEF Records.
    Ok i installed this app on my mobile.....there is no Record Type displayed, do u mean Target Type?

and where does this go?

in PushEntry or PushFilter?

Regular Contributor

No, Target Type is the tag type (Ultralight, 1k, 4k etc..)

If you have an NDEF record on your tag, you will see the record info displayed when you read it (RECORDs number, type, format, payload).

If you don't have any NDEF record on it, the MIDlet displays the tag type, UID and the message "No NDEF message on target". Is this your case?

The url is for the Push Entry. In the TagTestMIDlet example, the url is: "ndef:rtd?name=urn:nfc:wkt:T"
    Raluca Cindrea
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.nokia.com/nfc

i see wat ur talkin about now...
    Last edited by sdny; 2007-08-02 at 17:05.

No, Target Type is the tag type (Ultralight, 1k, 4k etc..)

If you have an NDEF record on your tag, you will see the record info displayed when you read it (RECORDs number, type, format, payload).

If you don't have any NDEF record on it, the MIDlet displays the tag type, UID and the message "No NDEF message on target". Is this your case?

The url is for the Push Entry. In the TagTestMIDlet example, the url is: "ndef:rtd?name=urn:nfc:wkt:T"
    Hi, ok...it still wont work...this is what i used from the info i got from TagTestMIDlet:
    String pushEntry = "ndef:rtd?name=nokia.com:li:id"; (id tags)

and

String pushEntry = "ndef:rtd?name=nokia.com:li: op"; (operational tags)

However, the TagTestMIDlet autolaunch does not work either.

Regular Contributor

It is strange that the TagTestMIDlet autolaunch doesn't work for you. Just to make sure we are on the same page, here are all the steps you need to follow to have the autolaunch work:

1. Compile the MIDlet (without any changes, i.e. using the PushRegistry entry as it is) and install it on the phone.
    2. Run it once on the phone and using the "Write NDEF" command from Options, write the correct NDEF record to one of your tags.
    3. Close the MIDlet.
    4. Touch the tag used at step 2.

Your MIDlet should be launched. In case you haven't followed all these steps, please try again and let me know if it works.

Related to the 2 Push entries that you mentioned - if you read the operational and id tags with the NDEF Read from the TagTestMIDlet, is that the correct type for them? Are they really NDEF tags?
    Raluca Cindrea
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.nokia.com/nfc

There is a reasonable problem.

The problem are ' unknown service type ' TAG's.
    All others 'service type' TAGs not problem.

All up to now taken place entries in the Jad for this not defined TYPE do not function -> for autolaunch (this thread) !

It does not go reading around the TAG with started Midlet.
    This no problem for the read or write data from/to TAG.

The other solutions are already all in the Thread present.

Or goes with ' unknown service type ' not into .jad?!!!

It is strange that the TagTestMIDlet autolaunch doesn't work for you. Just to make sure we are on the same page, here are all the steps you need to follow to have the autolaunch work:

1. Compile the MIDlet (without any changes, i.e. using the PushRegistry entry as it is) and install it on the phone.
    2. Run it once on the phone and using the "Write NDEF" command from Options, write the correct NDEF record to one of your tags.
    3. Close the MIDlet.
    4. Touch the tag used at step 2.

Your MIDlet should be launched. In case you haven't followed all these steps, please try again and let me know if it works.

Related to the 2 Push entries that you mentioned - if you read the operational and id tags with the NDEF Read from the TagTestMIDlet, is that the correct type for them? Are they really NDEF tags?
    I see, yes...i followed your steps, and it worked for TagTestMidlet.

I'm guessing they are NDEF tags, but they might be RFID tags.

There are also JEWEL and MF0U1 tags.

Is this only possible for NDEF tags?

Regular Contributor

@sdny

My question was not related to the type of tags (Jewel, MiFare etc.) but to the data on the tags.

The urls you mentioned - String pushEntry = "ndef:rtd?name=nokia.com:li:id"; (id tags) and String pushEntry = "ndef:rtd?name=nokia.com:li: op"; (operational tags) - will only work if the data on your tags is NDEF formatted data, and the record type for the NDEF data is "nokia.com:li:id" and "nokia.com:li: op".

If these are in fact tags that contain NTIP data, you have to change your Push Registry entry accordingly.

Can you please try the following:

1. Run the TagTestMIDlet.
    2. Choose "Read NDEF" and touch one of the tags that you want to use later for launching your MIDlet.
    3. Let me know what the MIDlet displays for your tag. Tag Type and Tag UID are not important, the rest of the information is. You could get a "No NDEF message on target" message or information about the NDEF record: type, format. Please let me know your results.
    Raluca Cindrea
    Helsinki, Finland
    www.nokia.com/nfc