Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

application icon

I know that it is an issue that has already been commented in the forum some time ago, but I would like to refresh it. My problem is that I am developing a Midlet which should have a png icon for applications menu, and I don't know which is the correct way to perform it, because testing the application in some devices it is not shown correctly in all. If I use a very big icon, it is resized correctly in all phones, but it is not shown correctly at the top of all screens (it is shown only a part of that). If I use a magic size as 42x29, it is shown correctly in nokia n91, but in others like n80 or e61 it is too smaller...

In the lists and alerts of the application I can get from code the best image size (hight and width), and then resize the images, but in the menu of the phone it is not possible.

Then my question is what should I do? Create a jar by phone resolution with different icon sizes? Create a icon with a magic number?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: application icon

I suggest you go for a separat jar file for a group of devices having same resulation but make sure you have put the right size icon(s) in the respective jar file, and then based on the parameters at from client send them the appropriate jar file. You can even gernerate jar and jad files at runtime based on the parameters from client.
    Sajid Iqbal
    ASD, Accredited S60 Developer
    [EMAIL]saji.iq@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Super Contributor

However if your application is signed (and definitely if your application is Java Verified) you probably do not want to create jar files on the fly, just the jad files. Hence pre-building might be the way to go.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Yes it is clear. I would like my application will be signed, so I should create some jar files (one per resolution) and then depending on the device download one of them.

Nokia Developer Champion

Its' much better to include various icons in the jar and only change the jad.

Quote Originally Posted by felixksp View Post
    Yes it is clear. I would like my application will be signed, so I should create some jar files (one per resolution) and then depending on the device download one of them.

Super Contributor
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,