Discussion Board

Swedish characters on Nokia 6230

Hi folks

I have written a vocabulary trainer (J2ME/MIDP) that loads selected translation lessions from a specified web site. Unfortunately for my swedish lessions special nordic characters are missing on the nokia keyboard. Swedish uses that 'a' with the little circle on it for example (they pronounce it as 'o').

Does anyone know how I can get this (and other nordic) character(s) on the screen? My Display is set to german (other settings to chose are: english, french, italien, netherlands, spanish, turcish, portuges).

Configuration:
    Eclipse
    40s 3rd edition
    Carbide.j
    Nokia 6230 V04.44

Thanx to all who can help me.

Raoul

Regular Contributor

Re: Swedish characters on Nokia 6230

Try to use the UTF-8 encoding for representing data in Strings and network communications. This should be enough to solve the problem.

Smile Re: Swedish characters on Nokia 6230

I was not exact enough with my question - sorry.

nordic characters are displayed correctly when showed by the application.

my question is what key do I have to click to write a nordic character. On my PC I can hold the Alt-Key and enter 0229, that makes appear an å-char.

Is there some kind of a combination like 'click * and then # five times' or so :-)

Thanx, Raoul

Quote Originally Posted by raoul.m
    I was not exact enough with my question - sorry.

nordic characters are displayed correctly when showed by the application.

my question is what key do I have to click to write a nordic character. On my PC I can hold the Alt-Key and enter 0229, that makes appear an å-char.

Is there some kind of a combination like 'click * and then # five times' or so :-)

Thanx, Raoul
    Letters with umlauts (ä, ö, ü) and accented characters (á, à, é, è, etc.) are normally found the the phone's keypad behind the same key as the "main" character is found.

For example, when writing an SMS message and pressing the button "2 abc" on the numeric keypad of my Nokia E50, it cycles through the following characters in the following order: a, b, c, 2, ä, æ, å, à, á, â, ã and ç.

My E50 is a Nordic variant, supporting the following display languages: English, Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic and Danish.

That helped :-)

Thanx