Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

How to polish midlet so it looks like Series 40 UI?

Greetings,

just started my summer work. My task is to build an application that should be a copy of Nokia Series 40 UI So, I have to overhaul original J2ME UI components with Nokia graphics. Application should work in Midlet 2.0 Nokia Series 40 devices perhaps in Series 60 in future.

I have done some research about canvas and customitem classes which might be good in this case. Before I start code anything I would like to hear your opinions how should I do this task that result is good? First subtask would be to do a basic listbox with Nokia background and some icons. Last subtasks might be texteditor and calendar overhaust.

I have already asked from my team leader if we could buy J2ME Polish license but I didn't get approve for buying it.

Regards,
    Arachidyl

Regular Contributor

Re: How to polish midlet so it looks like Series 40 UI?

Just found out that at least Nokia devices which are midlet 2 devices uses automatically Nokia theme in UI components. Still I have problems with this issue because my code should support all kind of UI components and with spesific graphics that UI designers want. Some hours ago I was in understanding that I should only use Nokia UI components with default theme. After realising it should work automatically then I get task to fix it so it can use all kind of UI components with certain graphics

Super Contributor

You might be able to pull this off using CustomItem(s). However if the high-level UI does not provide a certain component you want, you need to implement the behavior and outlook of the Item completely in your code - you do not have access to the native UI elements directly from Java (other than through high-level UI)
    Note also that you can query certain UI colors using <Display>.getColor() method call, so your items follow the general coloring

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Thank for you answer Hartti!

I was also thinking myself that CustomItem class would be the solution. I have already done some research from that area and CustomItem solution looks great. CustomItemDemo which you can find from Internet describes the advantage of CustomItem. Now I don't have to handle the movement in form if I use my own items.

Could your Hartti describe one component that I should program from scratch? I assume that CustomItem works only well in Forms but could I use CustomItem also in other components like in text-editor or dialogs? Im also interested to know if I can use animations in custom items? Basically I would like to know everything about CustomItems Do you know good tutorials or example applications where CustomItem have been used? I have already went through IBM tutorials. There wasn't any examples where graphics have been used. I assume that graphics aren't problem, just draw those in Paint-method?

Any other opinions how should I approach this problem?

Regards,
    Arachidyl
    Last edited by arachidyl; 2007-05-21 at 07:52.

Super Contributor

Another source for CustomItem information
    http://developers.sun.com/techtopics...ems/index.html

Hartti