Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Using Audio Proxy Server to play only (not play and record)

Hi,

I'm using APS 2.31 on Nokia E61. I need to play a sound down the active phone call. I don't need to record. I am a platinum partner and have multimedia DD.

If I set up the audio proxy server using code similar to the example loopback application, I can successfully play audio and also record phone calls. The code seems a little unreliable though - if I run my server twice in succession, quite often the second instance will hang when setting up the APS recorder.

Specifically it will hang in code like this:
    while (iRecordQueue.OpenGlobal(queueName))
    {
    User::After(10);
    }
    (this code is taken from the Nokia example).

If I take the same code and remove the calls to set up the recorder, the application makes no sound! Does this API only work for apps that both play and record? The documentation seems to suggest otherwise.

Finally - at the download for the APS zip, it is marked as "This resource is archived because it is not considered relevant for developers creating commercial solutions today. The resource is believed to be still valid for the original topic scope". Is this true? I have had no luck using any of the very many Symbian APIs for audio playback - whichever magic numbers I use for audio priority and preference.

Many thanks,

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Using Audio Proxy Server to play only (not play and record)

APS is about providing the necessary VendorID (I guess the Nokia VID) to the Media Server, since it silently discards the "magic-numbers"-parameter when invoked from 3rd party code.
    MultimediaDD or platinium partnership do not help, since MultimediaDD solely gives you priority when more than one applications are trying to get a given MM resource, and the phone obviously cannot know if you are PP or not.

Regular Contributor

Hello Wizard_Hu_,

By platinum partner, I merely meant we have access to all the necessary headers and libs. I am aware of the purpose of the APS - but Nokia's message at the APS download suggests it is no longer necessary. You need MultimediaDD to use the APS.

>APS is about providing the necessary VendorID (I guess the Nokia VID) to
    >the Media Server,
    >since it silently discards the "magic-numbers"-parameter when
    >invoked from 3rd party code.

Well, that's not really true, since the magic preference numbers do cause the media server to do different things, whether you are going via APS or not. Also there are several 3rd party applications that are able to merge audio with the uplink / record the downlink which do not use APS - so there has to be some way of doing it!

But, back to my main question - has anyone had any experience of using the audio proxy server in a real application? Have you been able to use it for playback only and not record? Our code is working, but I'm not confident of its reliability. To get past the various hangs and panics, we have had to litter our code with calls to User::After(), which is pretty awful!

Cheers,

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    I have been trying to get APS 3.1 working , i could make it run just for playing on 3250 and 5500 , but not on any other devices.

It would be great if u can share some code as how u made it work on E61.

Thanks
    Gaurav Palvia

Regular Contributor

Hi Rob,

have you been successful on PLAYING ONLY? This is exactly what i want to do, and currently i can not play sound at all, while the APS-Example-App (Loopback) works.

I am working on 3rdEd MR, using a N80 device.

Many Thanks, Marcel

Hi All,

I'm trying the same thing using APS API. But I'm not able to compile it successfully as it is giving all the methods which I'm using from that external library are not recognized. What might be the problem? I added the .lib and mapped it in .mmp files too. Please help me..

Thanks in advance

Regular Contributor

mobileteam,

have you added the libs to the right place? They are only available as ARMV5, so you should put them there.

You will only be able to link for GCCE builds, not for the emulator!

br, Marcel

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Using Audio Proxy Server to play only (not play and record)

mobileteam

you have to download and install S60_3rd_SDK_FP1_API_Plug-In_Pack_v1.zip

and do what suterma tells you. Goodluck