Discussion Board

Midlet signing and IMEI

Hi,

After looking into forums, I learned that to get the IMEI number, a midlet must be signed. I also learned how to sign a midlet using the WTK.

Now, problem is how to get a certificate ? When I run WTK -> Sign option, it shows only 1 keypair named "trusted" in list and if I sign my midlet using this, it shows an error message in handset with message missing certificate.

So, I searched more and found a link

http://browndrf.blogspot.com/2006/06...ed-midlet.html

which tells how to create own certificate using OpenSSL and use that to sign midlets. I haven't tried it yet, but will do today. Since I am doing a learning project, I am not ready to purchase a digital certificate for now.

At this point, I want to know if there is any list of devices which supports getting IMEI number via a signed midlet. I have Nokia 6270 and it don't allows (as per some posts in the forum). So if I can have a list of phones which supports accessing IMEI through a signed midlet then it would be helpful for me.

Thanks, Kirtimaan

Regular Contributor

Re: Midlet signing and IMEI

Usually S60- and UIQ-based smartphones are allowing to extract the IMEI code from Java. Also there are always vendor specific system parameters, which might help you to get the IMEI from less advanced mobile phones, but such feature is basically phone and model specific.
    Last edited by axs; 2007-05-24 at 09:58.

Smile Re: Midlet signing and IMEI

Hi axs,

Thanks for your reply.

I know that IMEI retrival is device specific and thats why I wanted to know if there is already any ready list of devices supporting this feature.

If I understand correctly, you mean that all S60 devices and UIQ devices will support IMEI access using Java. I am trying to know what for S40, S40 3rd edition, S60 3rd edition etc.

Thanks, Kirtimaan

Regular Contributor

Hi Kirtimaan. I am have same kind of problem i have to get IMEI number of My N91 which is using Symbian S60 3rd Edition. But as you know we have to sign Midlet before getting imei number. I have tried different signing but none of them worked.

I read the artical given in the link of your post. It is a good one. Have you tried that and if yes than what are the results. I am very curious to know.

If you succeed than please let me know.

Hi,

I followed the steps 1 to 3 on the link http://browndrf.blogspot.com/2006/06...ed-midlet.html and got the 3 files (cer, crt and key).

Now for step 4, its mentioned to install certificate on handset. The method shown on this page is web based and require handset to be able to access websites. Is there any way that certificate can be installed using a java midlet or SMS or some other way ?

Thanks, Kirtimaan

Regular Contributor

Why dont you try WTK's Midlet Signing or CarbidJ's Application Signing

Nokia Developer Champion
    That article is a bit confusing as this was a bug in Nokia S60 2nd Edition and Series 80 2nd Edition only. Please proceed there and there and there and there.
    Last edited by traud; 2007-05-24 at 09:02.

Hi atiqe,

Thanks, but as I mentioned earlier, currently I am learning and due to this don't want to buy a certificate for now. WTK signing tool allows me to import exisiting certificate and sign midlet or sign midlet using a default "trusted" certificate.

Now, if I sign midlet with trusted, I doubt, it would run on handsets as I understand that its for demo purpose only and midlet may not install at all. (please correct me if I am wrong).

traud, thanks for the links to forum. But as a new learner, I am totally confused with the midlet signing. Specially with the serieses. What I want to do is access IMEI number in my midlet. I can create separate installation for all devices which supports IMEI number access using J2ME. and after looking in to threads, I think that its must to purchase a digital signature for this purpose as I can't push my own signature to signature store on series 40 mobiles. and on series 60, it requires active internet access for installing own certificate.

Is there any alternate for this ? or say if instead of IMEI, I can get phone number of the handset (I know that its not stored with-in the phone, but many phone display mobile phone number on startup or under option My Telephone Number.)

Nokia Developer Champion
    Why do you need a unique identification of a mobile phone if your MIDlet is not commercial? One way would be the Bluetooth Device Address which is unique, nevertheless, requires the environment to have Bluetooth and JSR-82 on board.

Regular Contributor

Mr. Traud actuaaly i want to make a secure application. Thats why i want to get IMEI no of the phone. I am generating a serial code against the IMEI and validating the IMEI through it.

Hi traud,

I also want to secure my application by generating a validation code against the IMEI number in such way that my application can't be used on other phones without my permission.

Can bluetooth address can be accessed by a midlet without signing ? If yes, please let me know where I can get a list of phones supporting this and how I can access this.

I will be thankful to you.

Thanks, Kirtimaan

this problem also troubles me,
    before my MIDlet is commercial,
    my company is not ready to purchase a digital certificate.

I tried xca(an open source project), there are too many parameter.
    I tried according myself understanding, I signed my midletm but when I
    installed, the 6630 told me It is a invalid file.

I think there are some articles that tell us how to sign a midlet in the web.
    but those ways are suitable for emlators, not true device.

any suggestion?

best regards.
    byron lee

hi,

can anybody help me about which mobile phone exactly support jsr 177 ( SATSA - APDU ) api ????

it is very very urget. plz help me.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by anik_gnr
    hi,

can anybody help me about which mobile phone exactly support jsr 177 ( SATSA - APDU ) api ????

it is very very urget. plz help me.
    I have already posted a reply here. http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=80834

Please dont make multiple posts in same regard.

Regards
    Gopal