Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

How to get IMEI No of Nokia N91

I have to get IMEi number of Nokia N91 mobile or any mobile in Symbian S60 3rd Edition Series. How can i do it using j2me. I have tried to get it using System.getProperty("com.nokia.mid.imei"). But it returns null. I found out that for getting IMEI number one should first sign midlet. I have tried to generated self signed Certificate using OpenSSL but it still dont work, Is their any other way to get the IMEI number of phone using j2me?

Super Contributor

Re: How to get IMEI No of Nokia N91

Hi,

Hope you have seen this link in wiki

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...MEI_in_Java_ME

Peter

Regular Contributor

Thanx Peter for reply. But i already have used these commands and the result is null. I found out that only signed Midlet can return IMEI number otherwise they return null. So do you have any idea how to do that. Caz i am making a University project and cannot afford to buy a digital certificate for only checking the IMEI number.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by atiqe
    Thanx Peter for reply. But i already have used these commands and the result is null. I found out that only signed Midlet can return IMEI number otherwise they return null. So do you have any idea how to do that. Caz i am making a University project and cannot afford to buy a digital certificate for only checking the IMEI number.
    In c++ you can get IMEI with self signing. About java i don't have much idea.

Peter

Regular Contributor

Thanx Peter for reply. I have signed a certificate using openSSL and tried to sign my Midlet with it but it gave me the following error :
    Error importing certificate: java.lang.Exception: Public keys in reply and keystore don't match.

I dont know how to solve it do you hav eany idea.

Hi atiqe,

I am also stuck with in self signed midlet and an error.

I used OpenSSL to generate my own certificate and tried to use that to sign midlet via WTK.

However I was able to sign my midlet. Here are the steps which I followed :

-> Open my project in WTK.
    -> Build that.
    -> Packaged that using WTK's package option.
    -> Clicked on Sign option in WTK which launched sign suite wizard.
    -> First deleted the default localhost and trusted entries by Action -> Delete Selection.
    -> Clicked on New Key Pair option
    -> Entered MyOrg in alias.
    -> Filled the information which I used while creating the certificate in the form.
    -> clicked on create.
    -> Now clicked on Import Certificate.
    -> This opened another window where I selected "replace certificate chain" option and MyOrg from the drop down.
    -> Clicking OK asked me file path for cer file which I pointed (this is the file which was generated by OpenSSL)
    -> This imported certificate.
    -> Now I clicked on Generate CSR
    -> Then clicked on Sign Midlet. and it showed message of success.

I was successful to sign my midlet and when I copied midlet to my handset (nokia 6270 and nokia 3250) I get an error message "Certificate not on phone or sim" and midlet simply don't execute.

I wonder if there is any way to bundle my own generated root certificate with midlet in such way that it get installed first. Even if there is another way like say "a pre-installer" midlet which is not digitally signed, but do the installation of root certificate and make handset ready for installation of signed midlet.

Thanks, Kirtimaan

Regular Contributor

Post Re: How to get IMEI No of Nokia N91

Hi Kirtimaan,

Thanx for your reply. You are really very helpful. I was managed to sign a Midlet. Using a purshaed Certificate from Thawte but still it didnot return IMEi number on my Nokia N91 Series.

I dont know why? So i want to make sure that is really Signing a Midlet returns IMEI using
    System.getProperty("com.nokia.mid.IMEI")
    System.getProperty("phone.imei"))
    These. Please can you make sure that we can get IMEI using these methods for Nokia.

Hi atiqe,

Thanks for your compliment.

As I have learned so far by postings in the forum, retrival of IMEI number is possible only for the signed midlets.

I don't have any purchased certificate and can't afford that right now as it costs $199 approx, because I am doing all this for only learning purpose.

Also, I don't have N91 so I can't check. However, I have Nokia 3250 and Nokia 6270 in which Nokia 3250 should return IMEI number. Nokia 6270 has some bug and it don't return IMEI.

I also want to secure my application by generating a validation code against the IMEI number in such way that my application can't be used on other phones without my permission.

I have seen that System.getProperty("com.nokia.mid.IMEI") and System.getProperty("phone.imei") works for the Series 60 mobiles. But for Series 40 mobiles I am not sure as I am not able to check without signing midlet.

I can check for you on Nokia 3250 if you can send me your signed midlet.

Thanks, Kirtimaan

Regular Contributor

Kirtimaan Thanx for reply:

Actually i had an applet certificate which i have already used. i was curious wheather it works on my phone or not. Thats why i applied it on my Midlet. for the first time it applied and didnot returned anything. But now it is not applying. A for the purchasing i am also a student. And this is my first you can say semi comercial project. So i also donot have that much money to purchase a certificate to test my application. I think we both can help each other caz we had a very similar problem. can you give my your msn or gmail id. I would like to chat with you.

If you want mine here it is atiqe007@gmail.com. I dunt than let me know.

Hello atique,

I have just send you an invite for gmail chat.

Thanks, Kirtimaan

Quote Originally Posted by atiqe
    Kirtimaan Thanx for reply:

Actually i had an applet certificate which i have already used. i was curious wheather it works on my phone or not. Thats why i applied it on my Midlet. for the first time it applied and didnot returned anything. But now it is not applying. A for the purchasing i am also a student. And this is my first you can say semi comercial project. So i also donot have that much money to purchase a certificate to test my application. I think we both can help each other caz we had a very similar problem. can you give my your msn or gmail id. I would like to chat with you.

If you want mine here it is atiqe007@gmail.com. I dunt than let me know.