×

Discussion Board

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 76
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Belgium (Europe)
    Posts
    1,352

    Thumbs up [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    hello ,

    Hey it's a great day today (so many apps and new modules !) Perhaps a new version of PyS60 (1.3.22 ?)

    mwibbels has created and publish another GPS module : locationrequestor.pyd implementing symbian location API ...

    LocationRequestor is a Python extension that allows access to the Location Acquisition API (which connects to, for example, an internal and/or external GPS). It supports both blocking calls and callbacks. It is based on the 'lbsreference' example in the Symbian SDK.

    links : LocationRequestor module (source,2ndFP2+3rd binaries+API documentation)

    EDIT : don't download the package on the site it's broken
    I remove temporarly the old links

    ContextWatcher site
    locationrequestor for 2nd FP2
    locationrequestor for 3rd unsigned
    locationrequestor source

    PS : There's another lib from bergerc forumer for GPS : gps_location.pyd
    Last edited by cyke64; 2007-06-01 at 19:38. Reason: corrupted package -> correct package temporary
    pys60 1.4.5 and 2.0.0, pygame, PyS60 CE on E90 and 5800 !

    Find my pys60 extension modules on cyke64.googlepages.com

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Belgium (Europe)
    Posts
    1,352

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    to mwibbels :

    feedback :
    - example code in source file is only in the doc file ! Please put it in a test_locationrequestor.py file ...
    - the locationrequestor.py stub is not needed now (this bug has been fixed now !) the part with testing pyd file ...
    - When I try the example code I have the following error :
    line 10 : TypeError : locationRequestor() takes exactly 2 arguments (0 given)
    Have you got this one ?

    Tested with N95 and pys60 1.3.21

    Thanks
    pys60 1.4.5 and 2.0.0, pygame, PyS60 CE on E90 and 5800 !

    Find my pys60 extension modules on cyke64.googlepages.com

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Belgium (Europe)
    Posts
    1,352

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    it's me again

    When I look in the source code I found differences between the locationrequestor.py installed in c:\ressource on the device and in the source code (constant definition are missing in the device at least in the 3rd edition

    BR
    Cyke64
    pys60 1.4.5 and 2.0.0, pygame, PyS60 CE on E90 and 5800 !

    Find my pys60 extension modules on cyke64.googlepages.com

  4. #4
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    66

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    For 2nd edition the .sis package does not even include the locationrequestor.py script and it complains that these constant definitions are missing. This would be a great library and I would want to start using it. Has someone contacted the developers to get this fixed? Should be simple since it just seems that no one has tested these packages before releasing them.

    - Teemu

  5. #5
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    75

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    Yes, someone has

    I don't know what happened there, must have had a bad day, I obviously posted a mixup of versions .

    I just tested the stuff again on 2nd and for me it works. These same sources work in the emulator on 3rd (N95 is at work but I'm not). I put them here temporarily, they will appear at the site mentioned at the start of this thread in time.

    Let me know if there still are problems (lost my confidence now ...)

    Quote Originally Posted by tsharju
    For 2nd edition the .sis package does not even include the locationrequestor.py script and it complains that these constant definitions are missing. This would be a great library and I would want to start using it. Has someone contacted the developers to get this fixed? Should be simple since it just seems that no one has tested these packages before releasing them.

    - Teemu
    Last edited by mwibbels; 2007-05-31 at 09:08.

  6. #6
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    66

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    Quote Originally Posted by mwibbels
    Let me know if there still are problems (lost my confidence now ...)
    Hi again. I tried now again and it seems to work just fine on the 2nd edition. Thanks... this is a very useful module.

  7. #7
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    75

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    Phew Thanks for the feedback!
    Quote Originally Posted by tsharju
    Hi again. I tried now again and it seems to work just fine on the 2nd edition. Thanks... this is a very useful module.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    27

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    This module looks really cool, I'm looking forward to having a play with it

    One question though - is it possible to get the details on the satellites (position in the sky, signal strength, satellite id etc)? I see there's a way to call up the signal strength dialogue, and that a fix might have the numbers in view + used, but nothing programatic to get the full details.

    (I'm looking at doing a LocationRequestor version of a python bluetooth app I've written, which currently talks to bluetooth nmea devices. The satellite details are all that's missing)

    Nick

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    mwibbels, I think the file "Location Aquisition API.doc" you used as your reference, seems to be outdated, since it lacks detail about extended location tuple.

    [...] the Location Acquisition API is also able to return extended information (such as speed) and also technology specific data (e.g. satellite data).[...]

    GetSatelliteData()

    TPositionSatelliteInfo gives physical information about the GPS network services used by the positioning device. This is a list of the visible and used GPS satellites, their properties and common satellite information. The satellites are described by TSatelliteData.

    As http://forum.nokia.com/main/resource..._services.html Location Acquisition API (updated) say, it seems that satellite details is implemented by API but not yet by python module.

    Eddi

  10. #10
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    75

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    dpeddi: You're quoting the SDK docs, whereas the "Location Aquisition API.doc" (my spelling mistake, btw) describes the Python interface. That interface did not include satellite data.

    gagravarr: the satellite data was not accessbile through Python simply because we did not need it, it is however available through the Symbian API. I now added a method GetSatelliteData() which allows access to that data. The new version will appear on the official site (mentioned in the original post) shortly, in the mean-time you can find it here.

    Is this what you meant?

    Martin

    Quote Originally Posted by dpeddi
    mwibbels, I think the file "Location Aquisition API.doc" you used as your reference, seems to be outdated, since it lacks detail about extended location tuple.

    [...] the Location Acquisition API is also able to return extended information (such as speed) and also technology specific data (e.g. satellite data).[...]

    GetSatelliteData()

    TPositionSatelliteInfo gives physical information about the GPS network services used by the positioning device. This is a list of the visible and used GPS satellites, their properties and common satellite information. The satellites are described by TSatelliteData.

    As http://forum.nokia.com/main/resource..._services.html Location Acquisition API (updated) say, it seems that satellite details is implemented by API but not yet by python module.

    Eddi

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    27

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    Quote Originally Posted by mwibbels
    gagravarr: the satellite data was not accessbile through Python simply because we did not need it, it is however available through the Symbian API. I now added a method GetSatelliteData() which allows access to that data.
    Thanks, that looks exactly like the data I was after

    I'll try doing a LocationRequestor version of my code tonight, and will report back how I get on.

    Cheers
    Nick

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    27

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    Quote Originally Posted by gagravarr
    I'll try doing a LocationRequestor version of my code tonight, and will report back how I get on.
    The module worked like a charm

    If anyone's interested, my python gps viewer (which previously only worked with nmea bluetooth gps's) will now use LocationRequestor if present, and works quite happily with the internal GPS in my N95
    http://gagravarr.org/code/#nmea_info

    Nick

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    13

    Question Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    iam a beginner in pys60.will location requestor work in emulator???

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    35

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    I haven't tested this module, but you can simulate location at least with SDK examples.
    See "Simulation PSY User’s Guide" from 3rd Ed SDK help.

    - janimr

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: [announce] LocationRequestor module (location API) !

    Hi mwibbels,

    I found your module works with PyS60 1.4.0 too (by rebuild it).
    If you want to use it without rebuild PyS60 you have to adjust capabilities of PyS60 with the same you have for LocationRequestor using ensymble.

    However, using nmea_info I found a bug on LocationRequestor:

    While LBSReferenceApp.cpp
    Code:
    const TReal SpeedRatio = 36.0/10.0;
    
        if ( !Math::IsNaN(speedAccuracy) )
            {
            // Convert to km/h
            speedAccuracy = speedAccuracy * SpeedRatio;
            }
    locationrequestor.cpp
    Code:
    TReal32 CLocationRequestor::toKmPerHour(TReal32 mPerS)
    {
        if ( !Math::IsNaN(STATIC_CAST(TReal64,mPerS)) )
        {
            // Convert to km/h
            mPerS = (mPerS * 10) / 36;				WRONG
        }
        return mPerS;
    }
    While it should be
    Code:
    TReal32 CLocationRequestor::toKmPerHour(TReal32 mPerS)
    {
        if ( !Math::IsNaN(STATIC_CAST(TReal64,mPerS)) )
        {
            // Convert to km/h
            mPerS = (mPerS * 36) / 10;
        }
        return mPerS;
    }
    If you want you can get this: http://usa.dpeddi.com/locationreques...d_unsigned.sis (build against python 1.4)

    Best Regards,

    Eddi
    Last edited by dpeddi; 2007-07-25 at 20:23.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Location Based Services - Location API - JSR179
    By aminuddin09 in forum Mobile Java General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2011-02-23, 19:39
  2. PC Suite error: (Code: Init IMediaControl2) HELP?!
    By chunkyspudmonkey in forum General Development Questions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 2008-06-30, 11:47
  3. Location API, but no GPS
    By redsmurph in forum Mobile Java General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2007-01-30, 20:59
  4. Location API security limitations?
    By jkirma in forum Mobile Java Networking & Messaging & Security
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2006-05-29, 06:10
  5. did Nokia series was supports the Location API
    By lakshmanraob in forum Mobile Java General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2005-11-16, 04:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •