Discussion Board

Create Symbian 60 Theme's .sis file from scratch (using command line)

hi to everyone,

I am a newbie in s60 application development, currently, i has an idea to create the s60's theme without the using if application such as carbide.ui..... i want to do it from scratch (i.e by given a list of background images, icon images, etc, create a .sis file which can be installed into nokia symbian's[2nd and 3rd edition] phone).

Currently, since, theme's .sis file consists of 2 files, .mbm and .skn file. And untill now, i manage to get over on how to create the .mbm file. But i am stucked on .skn file for several times,,,, Can anyone help on this (i.e create skn file, by using command line)??

I had downloaded "S60 3rd Edition SDK for Symbian OS, for C++" from nokia forum,,,, i has used "mbmconv.exe" to create the mbm file,,, but i don't manage to create skn file.

Hope that some experts and experiences can lend me your helping hand... Or someone who has others way to do it, please to tell me,,, i will very appreciate about this,,,,

Thanks in advance....

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Create Symbian 60 Theme's .sis file from scratch (using command line)

The SDK is intended for Symbian C++ application development not for skins. While some tools might be common (like mifconv and bmconv) there is no need for a skin tool in the C++ SDK.

Hi ltomuta,

Thanks for your reply, can you give more guidance on the tools that you suggested (especially mifconv) ?? How can i make use of the tools that you listed to create a s60 theme's .sis file (the main prob is, i has no idea on how to create the .skn file contained inside the .sis file)?

Still confusing,
    chenloong

mifconf is the tool used for packing SVG files into MIF (similar to bmconv for bitmaps), it has nothing to do with the skn files. And my point is that the entire SDK has nothing to do with that file, you are looking in the wrong place.

Smile Re: Create Symbian 60 Theme's .sis file from scratch (using command line)

Hi Itomuta,

But as far as i known, it can be done using a .exe inside the sdk called "AKNSKINDESCCOMPILER.EXE".....

i found this on other forum, for more detail, you can has a look on it : http://www.mobile9.com/invboard/inde...howtopic=16379 , and i think this works, what i still lack of is the "descriptor file" mentioned in the forum shown, do you has any idea on this "descriptor file"?

I don't get any reply from the owner of the file, so i try to seek help from nokia's proffessional in this forum

Intersting... I'll have to look into this tool, its the first time I run into it.

Itomuta,

Thanks for willingness to lend me a helping hand. Will wait from you, anxiously.

You may want to send me an email : aw_chen_loong@yahoo.com

Any others who has idea on this also can make contribute too... thanks in advance..

Still in stuck,
    Chen Loong

Unhappy Re: Create Symbian 60 Theme's .sis file from scratch (using command line)

Hi to everyone,

There is couple of days since the last posting, but i still not hearing any response. Is it because of this problem is not possible to make it out?

Hope to get advices on this from anyone.... This is really urgent to me.... Please help,,,

Thanks,
    Chen Loong

Super Contributor

The content and use of the .skn and the tools have not been published by Nokia. The reason for this is that the content of these are subject to continuous change and therefore does not provide the kind of stable development environment tha we want to offer to our developers.

Since there is no any well documentation from Nokia, i has failed to do the task. But there is still some friends still face the same problem with me. I would like to make apologize to them since i has stopped it for a couples of time,,, I don't think it is possible to do so,,, Or anyone who like to share with me their experiences, can email me too.

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Create Symbian 60 Theme's .sis file from scratch (using command line)

Try out with symbian theme studio help,Everything is there for start. and examples are also there in studio , you can refer them ,.