Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

channel for going to market

Hi does anybody have any suggestion for the company to contact to go to market with a j2me app?I'm interested in Nokia content Discover, for example, but in the links from forum Nokia there is written that "If you'd like to distribute your application via Nokia Content Discoverer, consider arrangements with aggregators such as Jamba or Handango globally or in specific markets" but Handango doesn't want J2me apps and Jamba,for what I saw, is more for games and sounds than for other kind of applications.
    Other links to other aggregartors seems to be dispersive and , for example for the chinese ones, often there are not pages in English language.
    Do aggregators and operators really offer something interesting for destributing apps for personal productivity or tools in general?

Regular Contributor

Re: channel for going to market

Usually you have to make promotion and distribution agreement(s) with the mobile operators. Basically theis interests are in ARPU (Average Revenue Per User), so if your application will help them to improve it, they in 99% will take your applicaiton into account.

Regular Contributor

thanks axs,
    can you suggest the names of an aggregator/operator really interested on new java apps ?

best regards

Regular Contributor

IMHO any mobile operator is a potential partner. If ARPU will grow, and new users will come (because of cool services or applications), there could be a great chance to start working together.

As about Finland I can suggest Sonera, Elisa, Saunalahti and DNA Finland but this, however, is far-far away from a complete list

Also there is another way: to become a side developer for a mobile operator. This way the orders will go down from the up, which will mean less things to do at the beginning.
    Last edited by axs; 2007-05-31 at 09:00.

Regular Contributor

matrix241, I'm in a similar situation as you are - hope you dont mind me asking a questoin in ur thread

Quote Originally Posted by axs
    Also there is another way: to become a side developer for a mobile operator. This way the orders will go down from the up, which will mean less things to do at the beginning.
    axs, can u please elaborate on that part. How does this work?
    Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by chand81
    matrix241, I'm in a similar situation as you are - hope you dont mind me asking a questoin in ur thread axs, can u please elaborate on that part. How does this work?
    Thanks.
    Usually mobile applications and mobile add-ons (meaning software) are what helps mobile operators to grow the ARPU. (Probably shouldn't say that cool applications on mobile phones are helping to sell mobile gadgets and invite new users to the particular mobile operator.) The mobile software could be just from mobile games, to the CRM applicaitons and mobile shopping, multimedia sharing, posting, blogging or anything else.

If we'll speak about Symbian platforms, there are great chances to increase the functionalities of mobile phones through the plug-ins for Symbian OS and its versions, and extend mobile user experiences (as well as with the mobile Java).

The main question for mobile application developers quite often is not a great code, but the code which will be easily to integrate into the mobile operator's infrastructures. This way to become a partner with the mobile operator means you'll take all the troubles for integrity and will produce the great code (which, of course, will help to increase the ARPU

Also being a partner of mobile operator means that you'll customize the mobile phone for mobile operators (by adding customized themes, applications and multimedia contents. There are many companies which are porting games to mobile platforms. All there companies are good chances to increase the ARPU and invite new users, and as long as mobile phones will be, there will be a need for cool applications.

At the end you'll have a description of the vision, and coders which will implement that vision. The only question is from which side you'll receive such vision (from the mobile operator or your company), and from which side you'll receive the money for implementing the vision

When application is ready there is a big question how you will utilize it. If mobile operator has required an application - there is only an integrity problem. If a software company just has made a mobile application (ready for own distribution) - there are not only an integrity problems, but also problem of proving that ARPU at least will not decrease. And, of course, that mobile application will be desired by the mobile users of the particular mobile operatr (as the new, as the old ones).

So, making a mobile application for the order from mobile operator sometimes eliminates costs of advertizing and pushing it on the markets. Making your own mobile application without partnerships means that you'll have to advertize and push it on the markets by youself.

Hope this will help you.
    Last edited by axs; 2007-06-06 at 08:48.

Regular Contributor

a link for becoming "side developer" for any operator?

Best Regards

Regular Contributor

Basically you find a contact information on the operator's web site, and after N redials you'll speak with manager about who you are and what you can offer That's the first step.

Just for example: http://www.dnafinland.fi/yhteystiedot/ Etc, etc, etc.

I have the same problems with my application. I was trying to sell it by myself It won't work. I have online service, demo here http://62.149.18.72/~oboz/test/. Using my tools user can create:
    1.Wallpapers
    2.Gif animation + J2ME slideshow
    3.MP3 ringtones
    4.J2ME books
    About 2 months i was trying to contact with publishers. No results. So, i also need someone who can help. I can pay...

Talking Re: channel for going to market

impossible is nothing :-)
    now i have doubts. no results even here...

Regular Contributor

Would it be that companies are more willing to work with the other companies, rather than with single developers?

Quote Originally Posted by axs
    Would it be that companies are more willing to work with the other companies, rather than with single developers?
    I think you are right, but all is more complex. All they need is good ideas, caz they have enough resourses to realize this ideas!

marchuk,

Could you get in touch with me by email?

MV.