Discussion Board

No rule to make (Carbide 1.2)

I've searched for a solution to this bug for a while now and nothing seems to work. First tried with 2nd ed. fp2, then fp3, same error. Using carbide 1.2. Also tried reinstalling Carbide to no avail.

I get "make[1]: ***no rule to make target 'libname' needed by 'target.app'. Stop." There are couple of posts about this issue, but none of the solutions offered helped me.

The application builds from command line without problems. It's just Carbide I have problems with.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: No rule to make (Carbide 1.2)

You might consider telling a bit more about 'libname'.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_
    You might consider telling a bit more about 'libname'.
    Sure, I don't think that will help though and I don't know what exactly you want to know.
    This is the entire message: "make[1]: *** No rule to make target `\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\SERVERAPI.LIB', needed by `\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\MYAPP\MYAPP.APP'. Stop."

That lib is exactly where it should be. It's defined with LIBRARY ServerApi.lib in an mmp-file of a submodule of my project. Anyway "no rule to make target"-error message seems pretty straightforward to me. There is a rule somewhere which make uses to make the lib and I don't have it. This is what common sense says. But rrriiiiight, this is symbian & symbian tools, so it is more likely that the situation of sunspots have more to do with getting this to compile than common sense.

As a sidenote, the same project works perfectly well for a friend of mine with the same setup. The only difference is that I have multiple SDK's installed, but as far as I know, there is nothing wrong with the paths as I can compile perfectly well from the command prompt.

Nokia Developer Moderator

So the file ServerApi.lib exists in \Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\, and you are getting this error.
    I have no idea, sorry. You might check that there are no incidental extra characters appended to the .lib extension; if this is the last line of your .mmp you can also try adding an extra empty line. These are just guesses anyway.

Yeah well, it works for this friend of mine with same setup w/o changing anything. I'm the one who always gets the mystery bugs.

[rant on]1.0 Carbide kept crashing on me all the time, worked for others. 1.2 it seems can't compile perfectly good projects. What is it with this IDE? Can't the carbide team code or something? Where is the quality control? Do they need testers who can break their crapola software with ease? \o/ <- Me.

When I battle all day at work with shitty Micro$oft IDE's, namely Visual studio 2005 which is buggy as hell, I expect to relax with working environment when I get home and what do I get? A shitty carbide environment that can't perform a simple compile that works perfectly well from command prompt. This is the main problem with Symbian. Not the crappy documentation, not the obscure inner workings of some API which one can't know jack shit about, but this, the everpresent problems with these IDE/SDK-comboes. I sure as hell won't buy any pro version. I'll just stick to Visual studio 6.0. Atleast it works. [/rant off]

Oh and BTW, installed Carbide 1.1 and the project works fine. Stop pushing unfinished IDE's to developers, period.

the perl's version doesn't match, uninstall the perl with high version,then install perl 5.6.*, or from consol, find the *.pm error, then replace the "New *()" with "*->New()", will be ok!

Quote Originally Posted by jansongreen
    the perl's version doesn't match, uninstall the perl with high version,then install perl 5.6.*, or from consol, find the *.pm error, then replace the "New *()" with "*->New()", will be ok!
    Your solution is excellent!
    Thanks a lot!