Discussion Board

Static IP address associated with MobileServer

Hi,

I have registered for an account in Raccoon gateway and the following is my global URL .

http://Venkatesh_S.at.openlaboratory.net:8080

I would like to know the appropriate IP address associated with the URL.
    Also, interested in knowing whether the IP address can be used in the context of any URL invocation using Http protocol.

Anxiously waiting for your reply.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Static IP address associated with MobileServer

Quote Originally Posted by venkatt_shankar
    It varies, and is likely to change between different invocations of Raccoon and can change during use also, if the connection is lost and re-established. In any case, the gateway does not care what the IP address happens to be as it just deals with socket instances.
    Also, interested in knowing whether the IP address can be used in the context of any URL invocation using Http protocol.
    It depends. For instance, if you connect to the gateway using WLAN, then you are most likely able to access the phone directly if you are in the same WLAN network. In that case you can of course access the web-server directly, without connecting to the gateway at all.

However, if you connect to the gateway using a cellular network and figure out what the public IP address of the phone happens to be, then it depends on the operator firewall, whether you could you use the IP address directly or not. I suspect you wouldn't be able to.

Johan

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If the IP address of the MobileServer associated with a handset, is not static, we would like to know whether it is possible to make a http-based communication between 2 mobiles with raccoon installed in them.

If yes, using the global URL associated with the mobileServer of a handset, is the only way to access the particular Server.(mobile) from another mobile.

Awaiting for your reply.

Nokia Developer Expert

If the IP address of the MobileServer associated with a handset, is not static, we would like to know whether it is possible to make a http-based communication between 2 mobiles with raccoon installed in them.
    It depends on the operator. Some route packets between devices, some (most?) don't. If the operator does, the device with the web-server would simply have to figure out its IP-address and send that to the other device using an SMS, for instance. After that the other device could browse directly to the device with the web-server.

Johan

Hi,

Going by your statements, can we conclude that Peer-2-peer communication is not so easily possible through the mApache Server.

Does it mean that the mApache Servers can be accessed only through Desktop based-Standard Web browser i.e IE, NetScape etc.?

Nokia Developer Expert

Going by your statements, can we conclude that Peer-2-peer communication is not so easily possible through the mApache Server.
    No, you can conclude that peer-2-peer between mobiles in cellular context is not so easily arranged.
    Does it mean that the mApache Servers can be accessed only through Desktop based-Standard Web browser i.e IE, NetScape etc.?
    No, you can access Raccoon running on a mobile phone from a browser running on another mobile phone exactly the way you do from a desktop browser. That is, you just type in the URL and the traffic reaches the other mobile via the gateway.

Johan

Hi Johan,

Thanks for your reply.

Please check my following requirements and let me know the relavence of mApache in it.

1. SOAP based attachment messaging between 2 mobile handsets.
    - Hope SOAP library for Python will help us in creating WebService.Does it help us in Creating SOAP services which entertains attachments?
    - Hope i can register the Service created using Python S60 with mApache Server.If so, how will i access the Service from other handset, if the IP address information of the mobile is not static as in raccoon. Probably i may need to access through the global URL associated with the mobile server of the destination device?

2. SIP communication between 2 handsets.
    - Known through you that there is no explicit support for SIP in form of any library unlike SOAP.That being the case, can JSR 180- SIP API of J2me be the only option by which we can create a SIP connection between the devices.

If the relavence of mApache in both the scenarios are ruled out, Please

let me know the enterprise-work specific scenario where mApache is relavent.

Thanks in Advance.

Nokia Developer Expert

Does it help us in Creating SOAP services which entertains attachments?
    Unfortunately I don't know - I only have a superficial knowledge of SOAP.
    Hope i can register the Service created using Python S60 with mApache Server.
    No problem - just use the facilities provided by mod_python.
    If so, how will i access the Service from other handset, if the IP address information of the mobile is not static as in raccoon.
    I don't quite understand. The web-server does not care about IP addresses. It just listens to port 80 and if someone connects to that port and talks HTTP it is content.
    The gateway doesn't care whether the mobile has a static IP address or not. The only thing that matters is whether it is capable of keeping the connection alive, which is an operator firewall related issue, not an IP address issue.
    Probably i may need to access through the global URL associated with the mobile server of the destination device?
    Yes
    Known through you that there is no explicit support for SIP in form of any library unlike SOAP.
    That's not what I said. I said that Raccoon does not have any explicit support for SIP. S60 has support for SIP.
    That being the case, can JSR 180- SIP API of J2me be the only option by which we can create a SIP connection between the devices.
    No, you can also use the S60 API directly.
    If the relavence of mApache in both the scenarios are ruled out, Please let me know the enterprise-work specific scenario where mApache is relavent.
    If you expand a little what you mean by enterprise-work specific scenario then I might be able to present you with one.

Br,
    Johan

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by venkatt_shankar View Post
    Hi,

I have registered for an account in Raccoon gateway and the following is my global URL .

http://Venkatesh_S.at.openlaboratory.net:8080

Anxiously waiting for your reply.
    Hi venkat,
    Please let me know how did you do that.
    Please provide me the link.
    thanks
    anand