Discussion Board

Fast Image Capture

Hi,
    I want to shot images as fast as possible. To do so I capture images from the camera in the format CCamera::EFormatFbsBitmapColor16M with the smallest available size (160x120). After capturing the images I convert them to jpeg and adjust the quality to reduce the time for saving the image (if I save the image uncompressed it cost much time to save it to memory). Now I have the problem that the image size (160x120) is a little bit to small for my purposes. But on my phone (Nokia 6630) the next available image size I can pass to CCamera::PrepareImageCaptureL() is 640x480. But this is much bigger then needed and of course it takes much time to capure images in this size. So I want capture images in a size between the given values (e.g. 320x240). So now my questions: Is it possible to capture images in this or a silmilar size?! Another question is if somebody has some additional hints how to speed-up image capturing!? I remembered that somebody told me to use CCamera::EFormatJpeg as image format (by passing CCamera::EFormatJpeg to CCamera::PrepareImageCaptureL() as image format) but I never tried it and I'm not sure if this works because I never saw it in example code.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tobias

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Fast Image Capture

Fastest way is to capture images in compressed format. Most Nokia Camera API implementations allow you to capture images in Exif format, you should use that if it is available. You can check the available image formats using CCamera::TCameraInfo class (get it by calling CCamera::CameraInfo) and its iImageFormatsSupported member variable.
    janza

Okay it seems that my cellphone support EFormatExif. So I will change my call of CCamera::PrepareImageCaptureL() to use EFormatExif. The resulting Jpeg image should be in the aData pointer given in the function
    Code:
    virtual void ImageReady(CFbsBitmap* aBitmap, HBufC8* aData, TInt aError)
    and this aData pointer can be stored passing a descriptor onto it to an RFile!? Am I right in thinking or did I missed something?!
    Cheers Tobias

Nokia Developer Expert

Yes, you can directly save the resulting HBufC8 (you actually need to use HBufC8::Des method to get a descriptor that can be given to RFile::Write). Make sure you put extension *.jpg to the file name and you have an image that can be viewed in the gallery.
    janza

You can use the images served by the ViewFinder instead of shooting fast. If you don´t need big images, it can work.

Quote Originally Posted by miguelbl
    You can use the images served by the ViewFinder instead of shooting fast. If you don´t need big images, it can work.
    I also tested this but my phone just support 176x132 in Viewfinder mode. So my question: Did somebody has experiences with newer phones (e.g.like the N-Series) . Did they support image capturing in different images sizes (some sizes between 640x480 and 160x120)!? The N80 and the N95 for example have display sizes arround 320x240. So they should be able to capture images in this size (viewfinder size). Any experiences are welcome...!
    Cheers Tobias

Nokia Developer Expert

You can ask view finder frames in what ever size. There might be limitations due to byte alignment and aspect ratio etc, so you need to check the actual view finder image size you will receive.
    janza

Nokia Developer Moderator

These resolutions might have some correlation with CIF/QCIF (check the size of ClientRect on non-QVGA S60 devices and for example the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QCIF), video conferencing, etc. So I would not expect too much variation, however I can be wrong.

I can give you the two examples that i know.

-For Nokia N90, the biggest image size for the viewfinder is 416x352 (16M colors)
    This is also the screen size. Not sure if is also the biggest video resolution.

-For Nokia N93, the biggest image size for the viewfinder is 640x480 (16M colors)
    This is the max size also for video capturing, although screen size is smaller than this. You can capture viewFinder frames bigger than the screen in some phones.

Any smaller size of maximum size is possible but you should know that ratio should be 4:3 and the smallest parameter is the one that limits the image. (i.e. 320x240 or 160x120 are good ratios but 480x240 will result in 320x240 and 160x160 will result on 160x120 images)

I hope this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_80
    I also tested this but my phone just support 176x132 in Viewfinder mode. So my question: Did somebody has experiences with newer phones (e.g.like the N-Series) . Did they support image capturing in different images sizes (some sizes between 640x480 and 160x120)!? The N80 and the N95 for example have display sizes arround 320x240. So they should be able to capture images in this size (viewfinder size). Any experiences are welcome...!
    Cheers Tobias
    N73 and N95 both have viewfinder size 320x240. Both on them have direct bitmap viewfinder support, so you can capture viewfinder images. But, alas, with no prost processing and flash doesn't go off...