Discussion Board

Another "Unable to Install" Error, HELPPP

Please HEEELELELELELPPPPPP,

After Struggling with Symbian s60_3rd_MR, Carbide, Python extensions for days Ive gone back to basics. I've used first command line and then carbide 1.2 to create helloworld applications and eventually managed to run a console exe application on my N80. I have now tried to take a step towards my desired application by trying to run the example GlassTerm on my phone.

I have gone through the capability & signing process with symbian and no longer get signing errors.

I have obtained a UID from Sybiansigned in the protected range 0x2000BB18.

This is my pkg file

; Installation file for Symbian OS 9.x for generic console application
    ; Installation file for GlassTermIn EXE
    ;
    ; This is an auto-generated PKG file by Carbide.
    ; This file uses variables specific to Carbide builds that will not work
    ; on command-line builds. If you want to use this generated PKG file from the
    ; command-line tools you will need to modify the variables with the appropriate
    ; values: C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\, GCCE, UREL
    ;

;
    ; UID is the exe's UID
    ;
    #{"GlassTermEXE"},(0x2000BB18),1,1,0

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"Vendor-EN"}

;Unique Vendor name
    :"Vendor"

"C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\release\GCCE\UREL\GlassTermA.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\GlassTermB.exe"

Whatever I do the installation goes well til about halfway when it says Unable to Install! I've looked up the error on google and come across Antony's mobile blog and the forum nokia wiki sw installer guide but can't make any use of their advise except to try to rename the application all sorts of different things in case somethings stuck in the phone memory, although no installations of this have been successful.

PLEAAAASSEEE HELP BEFORE I BUY A SONY ERIKSON

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Another "Unable to Install" Error, HELPPP

You might want to start with an application without IrDA attempts (glassterm example exists in the SDK indeed, but it is a bit hard to run actually).
    Feel free to buy an Ericsson, but it still will not allow you to install a (probably) self-signed package with a protected UID (if you have even signed your app of course).
    You will also need a registration file (check for *_reg.rss and what happens to them in S60Ex-examples or in Carbide-generated code) in order to be able to launch your application on the device.

Thanks for the quick response, the problem is that my end application needs to run infrared rs232. I got the keys from Symbian signed with the capabilities:

CAPABILITY NetworkServices LocalServices ReadUserData WriteUserData UserEnvironment

I've been running my other console apps without reg functions by copying dummy exes into public folders and running them from a file-explore. I've used protected UIDs unprotected UIDs etc but to no avail.

What now, if buying a sony erikson can't help me!!

Quote Originally Posted by alistair9
    I've been running my other console apps without reg functions by copying dummy exes into public folders and running them from a file-explore. I've used protected UIDs unprotected UIDs etc but to no avail.
    I've heard a lot of weird ideas but this one deserves a place in Top10 ... well, Top100. Please go buy a SE phone ... )

Joke aside: have you modified the MMP file or do you use the original version from the SDK's examples?

Thanks for the responses, the problem seems to be my UIDs in the mmp files
    if i put
    UID 0x3FF.... then i get this problem
    wheras if i put
    UID 0 0x3FF.... then i don't. of course!

with regards to the dummy basic console exe files, there is a web page about that explains it. By opening the dummy exe file the system opens a version in sys/bin rather than the dummy version in your public folder.

Quote Originally Posted by alistair9
    Thanks for the responses, the problem seems to be my UIDs in the mmp files
    if i put
    UID 0x3FF.... then i get this problem
    wheras if i put
    UID 0 0x3FF.... then i don't. of course!

with regards to the dummy basic console exe files, there is a web page about that explains it. By opening the dummy exe file the system opens a version in sys/bin rather than the dummy version in your public folder.
    Right as suspected.

As for the the odd way of starting the exe I would still go for the _reg solution, it is clean, nice and easy. But well, that's just me