Discussion Board

Smile Carbide.C++ v1.2 Debug does extra build

I'm working on a rather big project bld.inf with some 30 MMPs.

After changing some code and rebuilding my Symbian component using CTRL+ALT+B I click the Debug button expecting the emulator to start instantly. Instead Carbide systematically wants to rebuild the whole project which takes at least 5 minutes on a very fast dual core machine.

As a workaround I interrupt the build process kicked off after clicking the Debug button and then I click again the Debug button this time it launches the emulator without trying the rebuild the whole project.

Also sometimes after a debug session it just can't build my component any more saying that the EXE is used by another process. To fix it I have to exit and restart Carbide.

BTW, overall I'm very very happy with Carbide.C++ v1.2 so far. The code browsing notably is simply amazing it really makes a huge difference in productivity. I particularly appreciate things like Call Hierarchy and Type Hierarchy. Keep up the good work Carbide people! I'll be looking forward for a consolidated v1.3.

Re: Carbide.C++ v1.2 Debug does extra build

In other words to start-up an emulator debugging session without rebuilding my entire project I have to do at least 4 mouse clicks in different places in the UI. If you could fix it so that I can use one single keyboard shorcut that would be great.

Re: Carbide.C++ v1.2 Debug does extra build

Quote Originally Posted by lenclud
    As a workaround I interrupt the build process kicked off after clicking the Debug button and then I click again the Debug button this time it launches the emulator without trying the rebuild the whole project.
    You can actually disable this with the (very well hidden) options under

Window > Preferences > Run/Debug > Launching

and then untick "Build (if required) before launching".

Also, if you have a large project, rebuilding with Ctrl-Shift-F7 (targets only) will be a huge time-saver because it avoids the makefile/dependencies step that usually takes the lion's share of an incremental rebuild. Of course, you wil still need a full rebuild if you change the .mmp file, or made a significant change to dependency relationships.

I hope that the next Carbide.c++ release will be a bit smarter in determining whether the full or the target-only rebuild is needed...

ciao marcus