Discussion Board

J2ME Command Language

I create a J2ME Mobile Application that support multi-language and it is independent to the mobile language because i have my own resources.
    The user that is using the application can change the application language from the application, without changing the mobile language.
    My problems, as you know J2ME creates special button command like Options if you have add multi commands to the same screen name. This Options command is taking the mobile language , how can i access it and change the language of it.... when the user changes the application language from the application

Super Contributor

Re: J2ME Command Language

Since you are using High level UI(Forms, List), you does have only limited control over the screen and you options command will be of the language selected in the phone. But you can do it with low level UI(Canvas), you have the full control over the display. For this you have to write your own code in canvas for the custom implementation.

Regards
    Gopal

Regular Contributor

brother gopal,can you tell me how to change a locale in an application,i studied many books and material but no one tell that how we can change locale in midp application.Actually i am developing an application which will run in different languages on mobile.thanks

Super Contributor

You could use System.getProperty("microedition.locale") to identify the phone's current locale.

Regards
    Gopal

Hi jackofall,

Just to complement Gopal's advice, you can get it but you cannot change it programmatically as far as I know.

Kind regards,
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

Regular Contributor

brother you know what,i have to implement an application which on user's selection,i have to change the language in my application.It will be like ENTER UR SELECTION ..engilsh,french,spanish
    when user select one then i have to implement rest of my application in that language.
    do u have any idea..please

Regular Contributor

Red face Re: J2ME Command Language

can you tell me how can i change locale ,i know how can i get the default locale and other properties(microedition.property,microediton.encoding etc) but i am not sure how can i change the locale of my application while its running.thanks

Super Contributor

You change the locale of your MIDlet with your own code. In other words, you have to handle the different language versions and moving between them yourself. There is nothing Java ME provides to you.

And you can only find out what is the phone locale. You cannot change that from Java code. SO the language changes for your MIDlet happen independent of the phone's locale.

Hartti

Hi jackofall,
    As u being told, u can not change the local of your phone, but you can change the local of your application through code.
    I think you can find something interesting here
    Regards,
    S.D.

Quote Originally Posted by hooopoe View Post
    I create a J2ME Mobile Application that support multi-language and it is independent to the mobile language because i have my own resources.
    The user that is using the application can change the application language from the application, without changing the mobile language.
    My problems, as you know J2ME creates special button command like Options if you have add multi commands to the same screen name. This Options command is taking the mobile language , how can i access it and change the language of it.... when the user changes the application language from the application
    Can any one tell me how to use multilingual in J2me without using resource bundle.any body know it please tell me how to use it,have any example please give me

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rajeshpillai23@gmail.com View Post
    Can any one tell me how to use multilingual in J2me without using resource bundle.any body know it please tell me how to use it,have any example please give me
    Hi rajeshpillai23@gmail.com Welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!!

What do you mean by with out using resource bundle ? Is it that you don't want to bundle the language files with the Jar file ? If so another option is, you can keep it in a server and download it while application is loading and may be save it to RecordStore after downloading.

Regards
    Gopal
    Twitter : @balagopalks
    Linkedin : @balagopalks

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks View Post
    Hi rajeshpillai23@gmail.com Welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!!

What do you mean by with out using resource bundle ? Is it that you don't want to bundle the language files with the Jar file ? If so another option is, you can keep it in a server and download it while application is loading and may be save it to RecordStore after downloading.

Regards
    Gopal
    DEAR SIR
    I HAVE CREATED RESOURCE BUNDLE FOR MULTILINGUAL APPLICATION,PROBLEM IS THERE IN PROPERTY FILE MAINTENANCE LIKE ALL KEY WORDS AND ITS VALUES ARE STORED IN PROPERTY FILE.I WANT TO USE MULTILINGUAL AS PER USER ENTRY'S.IN RESOURCE BUNDLE ALL KEY WORDS ARE FIX IN PROPERTY FILE.CAN U PLEASE GUIDE ME.IF YOU HAVE ANY EXAMPLE FOR THAT PLEASE SEND IT TO MY MAIL ADDRESS-rajeshpillai23@gmail.com

Super Contributor

Its always better to keep the resource files along with the JAR file. What is restricting you from keeping it in JAR? Is it that the JAR size has grown big ?

I remember some useful links :

Guidelines for Game Developers Using Nokia Java MIDP 1.0 Devices
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._v1_0.pdf.html

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...edition.locale

Hope this helps!

Regards
    Gopal
    Twitter : @balagopalks
    Linkedin : @balagopalks

Super Contributor

Check the Wiki for How to create localized text resources.

Graham.