Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

sending GPRS data to Java ME Midlet

I'm a complete newbie to this...so please forgive the stupid question. How do I send data via GPRS to a Java ME application? In other words what do I need on the server/desktop side to send GPRS data to a mobile device? And one more thing...how do i identify a particular mobile device as the target?

Re: sending GPRS data to Java ME Midlet

Quote Originally Posted by Larry101
    I'm a complete newbie to this...so please forgive the stupid question. How do I send data via GPRS to a Java ME application? In other words what do I need on the server/desktop side to send GPRS data to a mobile device? And one more thing...how do i identify a particular mobile device as the target?
    In the most common case you cannot sen data directly to a phone in a GPRS network. Users are normally billed for the data per transferred megabyte. Imagine someone bombarding your mobile phone's IP address with a ping packet flood.

That is why mobile phone operators have protected their GPRS network and all the mobile phones are in their private network, behind a NAT.

If you want to send data to a mobile phone, the phone needs to initiate the socket connection first. When the connection has been established, data can then be sent in both directions.

Regular Contributor

You would need to use http connection to send receive Data. check http connection class in j2me and also search on this forum u will find plenty of posts.
    Regards
    Nouman

Quote Originally Posted by nicenouman
    You would need to use http connection to send receive Data. check http connection class in j2me and also search on this forum u will find plenty of posts.
    A connection from a MIDlet does not necessarily have to be a HTTP connection. MIDP 2.0 introduced the interface javax.microedition.io.SocketConnection which provides access to sockets (and interface javax.microedition.io.SecureConnection for SSL-encrypted sockets). Then you can communicate with any communication protocol you want, and you are not restricted to HTTP.

Regular Contributor
    Regards
    Nouman

Thumbs up Security warning and Access point issue in N95 J2ME application

Hello,

I have developed my small application in Java to send data from my Nokia N95 to server. the program is okay up to now, I have the problem with "Security warning message" " Allow application xxxxxx swite to open xxxxxxx" I want to know how I can eliminate this security warning message completely so that It will not prompt me again. the second issue, is when I accept, it detects all the network possible and prompt me to choose one to use. " can you tell me how to pick one and eliminate the issue of "selecting access point" It shows me like T-mobile internet, T-zone, ...., I want my application to choose the network to use itself without asking me any question about it.
    Finally, I want to make it automatic, my application will read data from the file and say for example each and every 10 seconds send the data. how can I go for this?

Please help me.

Regards,

Bakari.

Security warning and Access point issue in N95 J2ME application

Hello,

I have developed my small application in Java to send data from my Nokia N95 to server. the program is okay up to now, I have the problem with "Security warning message" " Allow application xxxxxx swite to open xxxxxxx" I want to know how I can eliminate this security warning message completely so that It will not prompt me again. the second issue, is when I accept, it detects all the network possible and prompt me to choose one to use. " can you tell me how to pick one and eliminate the issue of "selecting access point" It shows me like T-mobile internet, T-zone, ...., I want my application to choose the network to use itself without asking me any question about it.
    Finally, I want to make it automatic, my application will read data from the file and say for example each and every 10 seconds send the data. how can I go for this?

Please help me.

Regards,

Bakari.

Regular Contributor

Re: Security warning and Access point issue in N95 J2ME application

Quote Originally Posted by bakari2009 View Post
    can you tell me how to pick one and eliminate the issue of "selecting access point" It shows me like T-mobile internet, T-zone, ...., I want my application to choose the network to use itself without asking me any question about it.
    Go to the Application Manager in your Applications Menu, find your Application and Open it. You can now choose a default network connection. You can also specify that you would like the application to only "Ask First Time" for various permissions.

- Mike
    NAVTEQ Network for Developers
    The community for developing innovative location-based applications
    http://NN4D.com

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mikemoore View Post
    Go to the Application Manager in your Applications Menu, find your Application and Open it. You can now choose a default network connection. You can also specify that you would like the application to only "Ask First Time" for various permissions.

- Mike
    Hi,
    In case of the HTTP that alerts will be shown at least once for the session.
    else Thats works if your application is signed,
    else you have to face those permission alerts.
    Last edited by raj_J2ME; 2009-03-25 at 04:34.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by raj_J2ME View Post
    In case of the HTTP that alerts will be shown at least once for the session. else Thats works if your application is signed,
    else you have to face those permission alerts.
    You can change quite a few permission requests without being signed. And you can definitely change the default network (access point) to be used without being signed. The complete list of permission requests that can be changed to "Ask First Time" without signing is:

Network access (e.g. HTTP)
    Application auto-start
    Connectivity (which can be set to "Always allowed")
    Multimedia
    Positioning
    Landmarks

- Mike