Discussion Board

Thumbs up making a gui application run continuously in the background

hi,
    i hav used nokia`s logexample. now the problem is tat my application works only wen i click on the icon. i want it to run continuously in the background and all updation in the log engine should be reflectd immediately.my application retrieves all the recent events like calls and messages from the log engine and puts it in a file.
    but the problem is tat it puts it in the file only wen we click on he icon...if the appliaction is nort closed then on an event it does not update the file...we have to explicitly close the application and then click on the icon again.
    i want it to update the file automatically....please help..!!!
    Regards,
    Sonal kadam

Re: making a gui application run continuously in the background

Quote Originally Posted by kadamsonal9_99
    hi,
    i hav used nokia`s logexample. now the problem is tat my application works only wen i click on the icon. i want it to run continuously in the background and all updation in the log engine should be reflectd immediately.my application retrieves all the recent events like calls and messages from the log engine and puts it in a file.
    but the problem is tat it puts it in the file only wen we click on he icon...if the appliaction is nort closed then on an event it does not update the file...we have to explicitly close the application and then click on the icon again.
    i want it to update the file automatically....please help..!!!
    HI sonal,

I've seen your problem, i want to suggest you, You can do whole things in exe, don't use app. Because Exe always run in background... So keep try to implement exe....

Hi developpers,
    I am traying to do theb same thing as Sonal kadam (to run a gui applicationn continuousely), please if someone has a relevant idea keep me informed at iglhamid@gmail.com or igl2006@hotmail.com
    thank you in advance.
    igl hamid

Nokia Developer Moderator

What is your problem exactly? GUI apps are able to run in the backgroun (search for SetOrdinalPriority in the SDK Help, the Wiki, on DiBo, etc.), and you can also hide them if you want (search for *FSW in the SDK Help - it will be in AknAppUi, cannot check the exact name now, sorry).
    Autostart is also possible, you will probably find useful hits in the Wiki.

Regular Contributor

Hi All,
    If i am not wrong,please consider the my solution.
    IF you want to update the your application when the either logEngine (call logs or messages) you may get the notifications by using Notify methods.

Suppose for calllogs are updated by using calls,so that when u get listen CTelephoney notifications (using NotifyChange() method) u can update your application,similarly Messages also.

Regards,
    partha.