Discussion Board

n95 difficulties :(

hello

i just bought my n95 2 days ago. i'm a Canadian user and i'm having so many difficulties trying to use all the features.

problem 1: i can't update the phones software. when i run the the nokia software updater it downloads the ~100mb update and when i plug the phone it, after a bit i get an error that says phone recovery which needs me to take out the battery and restart it. i did that and i still get there error each time. (the battery was fully charged)

problem 2: i can't seem to get wifi to work. when i load up the wifi connection and enter the code of the wlan, it trys to connect then gives me the error "no gateway reply"

problem 3: i can't get the gps to work. at all. lol.

someone please help! i feel helpless using such a feature rich phone without using any of its features! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: n95 difficulties :(

I actually have done he updating twice without an error, both times plugged the phone before starting the download though..

2. Your Wlan is then not accepting your connection.. check with the administrator what could be causing it.

3. Check that you have a sky above you, and prefer a place that doens't have tall building etc blocking your view to the sky. then the first time can take few minutes, thus buy a newpaper while waiting.

anyway, after that its pretty good, last time at golf course the first time took 3 minutes, and then if I used it by just closing the slide (not exiting the program) I got the location in less than 5 seconds after opening the slide again.

yucca

holy smokes

lol

the gps is flippin awesome (even holding it normally :P)

but i can't get the wifi to work. the wlan at home allows other connections, entered the right code, but still can't get it to work

and the update still says for me to recover the phone after having fully charged battery PLUS having the charger plugged in

so i got wifi to work (at a starbucks). other so called "hotspots" in toronto are either locked or need me to pay. so the wifi works. but i'm still not sure why it wouldn't connect to my friends network. (hard for me to test it out because i don't have wireless connection at home). but i'm glad it works. my power saving was already changed to disabled. but i will try to get my friend to reboot his router when i go there and keep you posted. thanks a bunch.

meanwhile...... (lol)

i still have the problem of not being able to update my firmware.

whenever i start updating, after downloading the file, it begins for a bit, then gives me an error telling me to take out my battery for recover. i do that and it continually gives me the same error. i've tried plugging it in with different usb cables, throught different ports. still same error. i've tried selecting pc suite as well as mass storage, still same error.

Maybe you could try actually plugging the phone into teh computer and then starting the software updater and letting it to download and install the update before un-plugging the phone.. Have worked for me everry single time..

yucca

i have tried plugging it in before starting the NSU. and i don't unplug it unless it gives me teh recovery error i mentioned above.

anybody? help?

has anyone found a solution yet? i've waited and tried it again but i still get the same error regarding the firmware update! can anyone help please

have you tried on formatting the phone first (do your backup before formatting), so it would be sort-of-in-fresh state, and maybe removing the memory card before starting the SW update, I think there should really be no problems if the phone is in factory settings at least.

yucca

Super Contributor

steven_s,

There is also end-user discussion boards for firmware update discussions. Have you checked answers from there?
    http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...rd.id=swupdate

Hartti

steven_s,

I had the WiFi problem in my N95 too. Here's what I do when I cannot connect to the WiFi.

Instead of using the WiFi Wizard which has the short-cut on the desktop, I go to the browser and type in the address and when the select access point dialog pops up, i select the "Search for WLAN" and select the required access point.

Works for me. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by prayagnarula; 2007-07-04 at 02:52.
    For all your days prepare; And meet them ever alike
    When you are the Anvil, Bear; When you are the Hammer, Strike

I have been on the other discussion board, and i ahve also posted the problem on that forum, no one has been able to really help me out!

the EXACT wording of the error message i receive is:

---
    Phone Recovery

1. Remove battery and charger from phone.

2. Insert battery and connect charger.

3. Press the phone's power button for a few seconds. Click 'Retry' to continue with phone recovery.
    ---

after clicking retry, it repeatedly gives me the same error message! i've tried taking the card out, having resetting everything, it just won't work?