×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: jsr 239 support

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    9

    jsr 239 support

    Hi,

    Is JSR 239(Java binding for OpenGL ES) currently supported by any Nokia mobile devices?

    If not, is there a roadmap available?

    Ming.

  2. #2
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA, CA
    Posts
    7,191

    Re: jsr 239 support

    Hi Ming,

    That API is not supported on any Nokia devices yet.
    The API is not part of the MSA API collection, so I do not see it implemented any time soon.

    Hartti

  3. #3
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rome
    Posts
    71

    Re: jsr 239 support

    Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    Hi Ming,

    That API is not supported on any Nokia devices yet.
    The API is not part of the MSA API collection, so I do not see it implemented any time soon.

    Hartti
    Hi! Do you mean that nokia devices don't have hardware support for jsr 239, or that you can't write jsr 239 based midlets?

    Thanks in advance,
    Tesctassa

  4. #4
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA, CA
    Posts
    7,191

    Re: jsr 239 support

    The JSR-239 is not implemented on Nokia devices, so the MIDlets cannot use it.

    Hartti

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    270

    Re: jsr 239 support

    I hope to see this api implemented soon in nokia devices...

  6. #6
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    7,395

    Re: jsr 239 support

    Why do you want '239, rather than '184?

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    270

    Re: jsr 239 support

    Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    Why do you want '239, rather than '184?
    sure not, I want both...

  8. #8
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    7,395

    Re: jsr 239 support

    But... why do you want 239? Why do you not just use 184?

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    270

    Re: jsr 239 support

    Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    But... why do you want 239? Why do you not just use 184?
    what's the question?
    how can you compare this two apis? both are used to draw something 3D on a scene,
    but it isn't comparable...

  10. #10
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    7,395

    Re: jsr 239 support

    I can compare them, because they're used for the same thing: rendering 3D images. Why do you require the low-level JSR 239 API? Why can you not just use the higher-level JSR 184 API?

    Or, another way: what problem is solved by 239, that cannot be solved using 184?

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    270

    Re: jsr 239 support

    Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    I can compare them, because they're used for the same thing: rendering 3D images. Why do you require the low-level JSR 239 API? Why can you not just use the higher-level JSR 184 API?

    Or, another way: what problem is solved by 239, that cannot be solved using 184?
    this is your answer.
    http://www.jbenchmark.com/tools.jsp?benchmark=239

    please don't open a religious war, both apis is better than one api, this is sure...

  12. #12
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    7,395

    Re: jsr 239 support

    I'm not opening a religious war! I'm a software engineer, not a priest. There is a variety of reasons why one might want one API rather than another. I just wondered what your specific reason was. I was interested because:

    1. Nokia will need to spend money to provide an implementation. They are more likely to do this if you can provide a specific case for it, rather than just saying "I want it".

    2. There may well be an alternative solution of which you are not aware, and someone might be able to help you.

    Graham.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    270

    Re: jsr 239 support

    Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    I'm not opening a religious war! I'm a software engineer, not a priest. There is a variety of reasons why one might want one API rather than another. I just wondered what your specific reason was. I was interested because:

    1. Nokia will need to spend money to provide an implementation. They are more likely to do this if you can provide a specific case for it, rather than just saying "I want it".

    2. There may well be an alternative solution of which you are not aware, and someone might be able to help you.

    Graham.
    You are right, Sony Ericsson has a Java Platform ten times better than the Nokia one and it supports JSR239
    with many other interesting apis...
    I don't think that implementing a new api for nokia will makes someone starving :P

Similar Threads

  1. Support for JSR 253 API on Various Handset
    By Ashish_J2ME in forum Mobile Java Networking & Messaging & Security
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2011-10-06, 06:43
  2. devices supporting jsr 179
    By khristopher in forum Mobile Java General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2011-09-21, 10:06
  3. Jsr support
    By soku123 in forum Personal Profile
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2006-07-21, 17:50
  4. I can't reinstall PC Suite Support into my phone
    By rulirahm in forum PC Suite API and PC Connectivity SDK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2006-06-12, 08:49
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2004-08-25, 11:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×