Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Questions about Nokia WAP Toolkit

Posted by Jim Lum, jimlum@yahoo.com
    on June 17, 2000 at 00:26

I've been doing WAP/WML development for awhile, using mainly tools such as the Phone.com simulator and Ericsson simulator. I've hesitated trying the Nokia WAP Toolkit because their specs indicate that you also need to run their WAP Server.

Questions:

1) Do the simulators in the Nokia WAP Toolkit not have an "HTTP Direct" mode ala the Phone.com simulators?

2) Is there anyway to use JUST the Nokia WAP Toolkit, without the WAP Server if all I want is to do is simulate a Nokia phone?

Super Contributor

RE: Questions about Nokia WAP Toolkit

Posted by David payne, david.payne@act.gov.au
    on June 20, 2000 at 07:29

The Nokia toolkit can be used without having the server side running or even installed. If all you want to do is test Nokia phones against code then it can be done without any configeration, just install the toolkit and java run time environment.

Super Contributor

Posted by Alexander Klyubin, klyubin@hireright.ee
    on June 19, 2000 at 20:49

There are two options:
    * Use HTTP
    * Use WAP Gateway

You can try it, I suppose. The toolkit worked fine without a server on my machine

Super Contributor

Posted by Nick Price, nick.price@icl.com
    on June 22, 2000 at 17:53

Hi I've used the WAP Toolkit for about a week now. Under preferences there's a selection to use HTTP or the Gateway. BUT you need to make sure that your IIS Server is setup for the WML types as defined in the Getting Started document. BTW its also easy to set up the WAP Gateway