Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Java heap size in E61i

Hi

Does anyone know how to increase the Java heap size on the E61i? It's stuck at less than 1MB and it's saving sooooo slowly to the recordstore and is generally very sluggish indeed. It's got 60Mb of memory so that should not be an issue. The phone, camera and wifi is great - but what can I do about the Java!

Chris

Re: Java heap size in E61i

S60 devices automatically expand heap if a java app needs more than currently available.
    Just make sure you you have enough free phone memory.

Anyway, more heap won't help making RMS access faster.

--thomas

All S60 3d Edition phones including E61i has unlimited heap size. Check the device spec from nokia

http://forum.nokia.com/devices/E61i
    Sreekanth Bellur,
    Symbian C++ Developer,
    Ravensoft Ltd.,
    Manchester,
    United Kingdom

OK thanks although when I execute getruntime().totalmemory and getruntime().freememory I'm seeing under 1MB.
    As for writing to RMS yeah I guess it's amazingly slow for this level of phone

Getting interesting! We save photos to recordstore along with other data.
    So time to save just text to recordstore - 1 second
    Time to save text + 1 photo to recordstore - 1 minute
    Time to save text + 6 photos to recordstore - 1 minute!

These are probably 640X480 as using video capture

BUT it seems that this phone has a horrible time opening or otherwise initializing the recordstore stream

Nokia Developer Champion

One should note the RMS was initially designed as a method to store simple information as there was no access to the file system. I would advice you to use FileConnection API to store the images

Hartti

Hartti

Good idea although it runs fine on other phones including an older Nokia 6620. JSR75 not available everywhere of course - or wasn't when we wrote this code originally for the 3650 ..

Thanks

Chris

Nokia Developer Champion

Quick comment: Have you installed the MIDlet on a memory card? There is a known issue on reading and writing data on a memory card which could affect this too
    [Edit]
    here is the knoen issue
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...on_devices.htm

Hartti

Hartti

Thanks. I did try installing both memory and micro-SD - didn't appear to make much difference

Chris

Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by sreekanthbellur
    All S60 3d Edition phones including E61i has unlimited heap size. Check the device spec from nokia

http://forum.nokia.com/devices/E61i
    So much for unlimited heap size

I'm displaying getruntime().totalmemory - seeing 819200
    and getruntime().freememory - seeing 115512

AND I'm getting an out of memory error trying to import a file via jsr75

Hartti

Re using file system for storage I understand, although when we first started developing the app using MMAPI on the 3650 there was no JSR75 and a lot of devices don't have it today (or have access to it by default), so if we want to keep one codebase we're stuck with RMS and to be fair RMS is just fine for our app on most phones out there, fast as anything with most 400Mhz CPUs with JVMs from various sources. We just have this MIND BOGGLING slow peformance (if you can call it that even) with the e61i. I'll be testing soon on an E50 as we'll see if this is generic with S60 series 3.

Anything you or anyone at Nokia can do to clear up our understanding of what best works with the JavaME implementation on the e61i (and other Nokia phones) would be soo helpful !

First, when we try to switch screens (by displaying a new screen), the time to display the new screen seems to be slow on the Nokia e61i. We had tried to make our application able to run on low-memory devices. In order to do this, we do not hold on to screens in memory unless necessary. Instead, we create the screen/form and then display it. There seems to be a noticeable pause on the e61i compared to other phones (e.g. MotoQ, Samsung)

Second, large byte array manipulation or loading images via a resource string seem to take a long time or lock up the display. We have the display being monitored/updated by one thread and the work being done by another. Both of these are separate from the main event loop. Is there some overhead or hidden penalty associated with multiple threads of execution on the Nokia JavaVM? In this scenario, we have a thread waking sleeping 500ms, checking the state of a shared object being worked on by the worker-thread, and then updating the display--and both of these are separate from the main event thread.

We appreciate any tips you could give us or any resources you could point us to!!

Chris

Mmmm, no comments eh? Well I'm pleased to report our j2me app runs GREAT on the E50 so I reckon the E61i is just not up to it (j2me) at this time

Nokia Developer Champion

Chris,

I have no detailed comments on this, hence no reply yet. This could be related to other screen performance and flickering issues on landscape screens on S60 3rd Edition phones (see the Technical Library on details), but this is only a guess. Have you tested this on E61 or on E70 with landscape screen?

Hartti

Hartti

Thanks for the response - sorry if I seemed to be expecting a quick response as I know this is a free forum and isn't an official support channel by any means - maybe just frustration at having seen what I thought was a _perfect_ platform for our app which allows creation of new eBay listings direct from a cell phone not work out.

We have only tried the Nokia RDA for the N70 and we always have problems with JSR135 or JSR75 with the remote service (although our Verisigned and Self-signed midlet allows camera access with E61i and E50 so probably would with the N70 as well, if we actually had one to test with - I've used up my device purchase budget for July already :-)) - so bottom line is I can't tell about N70 or E70 yet but I am gratified it runs on the E50 which is a Series 3 phone - for a while I thought the E61i problem could be generic for our app and that would have been horrible

It does seem the screen is slow to refresh on the E50 too so maybe that isn;t the issue with the E61i which I suspect is the way the JVM is implemented there. I am wondering if a firmware update in general (not necessarily for the JVM) is available and I'll try that avenue

The big thing is we will run on a lot of Nokia phones, the bad news is is the E61i for us

Thanks for your reply

Chris

Does anyone know if when updates are available to the e61i, they might even include a replacement JVM? Is the info as to the JVM and any buglist (Monty?) available any place?