Discussion Board

can't build in command line

Hi,

I just installed Carbide.c++ v1.2 and S60 3rd E. FP1 and tried to build the sample HelloWorld application that resides in "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld". I followed the steps from help menu like

"bldmake bldfiles"

and

"abld build winscw udeb"

However it appears the following message:

D:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld>abld build winscw udeb
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\EXPORT.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" MAKEFILE VERBOSE=-s
    perl -S makmake.pl -D \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HEL
    LOWORLD WINSCW
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" LIBRARY VERBOSE=-s
    make -s -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_
    2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW" LIBRARY
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" RESOURCE CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW" RESOURCEUDEB
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW" UDEB
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" FINAL CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s

but I didn't find any executables, and then when I started epoc.exe, nothing display in the emulator.

Can anybody tell me how to build and run a simple HelloWorld application from command line interface? It doesn't seem to work just following the steps from books or help document.

Re: can't build in command line

hi hgyan,

i'm also new to carbide and S60 3rd Edition FP1 (and the whole process of writing applications in mobile devices), and still figuring out how to make it work. but i had more success than you in doing it by means of command prompt.

i didn't compile the helloworld file that is located as mentioned in your post (I don't even have a folder named "helloworld" under such path). but after reading Star->Programs->S60 Dev. Tools->S60 FP1->1.0->SDK help, i compiled the helloword example under <C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\S60Ex\HelloWorldBasic> and was able to "bldmake" and "abld" both. then when you run "epoc", you'll see HelloWorld under Installed folder. But this is just the start of the frustration. After successfully running this in emulator, I followed the SDK help to create an installation package file. There is the trouble. Apparently, there should be some file called "helloworld.pkg" in .sis folder. But mine was missing (mysteriously). So I decided to give up and now am in the process of switching to Java platform. Hopefully, I'll have more success in Java than in C++. Keep me updated about what happens when you try it and whether you've "helloworld.pkg" in your "sis" folder. I'm a student who wants to dabble at creating an application for Nokia N95 over the summer, so I'd appreciate any help or suggestion from anyone about the issues come up thorughout my learning process. Good luck compiling!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lachee
    hi hgyan,

i'm also new to carbide and S60 3rd Edition FP1 (and the whole process of writing applications in mobile devices), and still figuring out how to make it work. but i had more success than you in doing it by means of command prompt.

i didn't compile the helloworld file that is located as mentioned in your post (I don't even have a folder named "helloworld" under such path). but after reading Star->Programs->S60 Dev. Tools->S60 FP1->1.0->SDK help, i compiled the helloword example under <C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\S60Ex\HelloWorldBasic> and was able to "bldmake" and "abld" both. then when you run "epoc", you'll see HelloWorld under Installed folder. But this is just the start of the frustration. After successfully running this in emulator, I followed the SDK help to create an installation package file. There is the trouble. Apparently, there should be some file called "helloworld.pkg" in .sis folder. But mine was missing (mysteriously). So I decided to give up and now am in the process of switching to Java platform. Hopefully, I'll have more success in Java than in C++. Keep me updated about what happens when you try it and whether you've "helloworld.pkg" in your "sis" folder. I'm a student who wants to dabble at creating an application for Nokia N95 over the summer, so I'd appreciate any help or suggestion from anyone about the issues come up thorughout my learning process. Good luck compiling!
    if you are using HelloWorldBasic from the SDK examples, then under the sis folder you should have two pkg files, one should be helloworldbasic_arm5.pkg
    and helloworldbasic_gcce.pkg. When compiling for gcce you can use the helloworldbasic_gcce.pkg.
    Hope it helps you move ahead
    Good Luck and Cheers
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by hgyang
    Hi,

I just installed Carbide.c++ v1.2 and S60 3rd E. FP1 and tried to build the sample HelloWorld application that resides in "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld". I followed the steps from help menu like

"bldmake bldfiles"

and

"abld build winscw udeb"

However it appears the following message:

D:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld>abld build winscw udeb
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\EXPORT.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" MAKEFILE VERBOSE=-s
    perl -S makmake.pl -D \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HEL
    LOWORLD WINSCW
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" LIBRARY VERBOSE=-s
    2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW" LIBRARY
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" RESOURCE CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW" RESOURCEUDEB
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    2\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW" UDEB
    \Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" FINAL CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s

but I didn't find any executables, and then when I started epoc.exe, nothing display in the emulator.

Can anybody tell me how to build and run a simple HelloWorld application from command line interface? It doesn't seem to work just following the steps from books or help document.
    if you dont find your helloworld in the emulator, typically the issue to watch is the registration file. Read more information on this in the SDK help.
    Hope it helps
    Good Luck and Cheers
    Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply. I was able to get gcce compiled. But what I'm stuck with is making a installation file (.sis). As mentioned, I'm not quite sure which one of the two files (helloword_gcce.pkg or helloworld_armV5.pkg), I should makesis. In fact, I tried both and failed. :) I don't know how to create a pkg for helloworld either. If you could direct me to some helpful references about that, that'd be super! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by lachee
    Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply. I was able to get gcce compiled. But what I'm stuck with is making a installation file (.sis). As mentioned, I'm not quite sure which one of the two files (helloword_gcce.pkg or helloworld_armV5.pkg), I should makesis. In fact, I tried both and failed. :) I don't know how to create a pkg for helloworld either. If you could direct me to some helpful references about that, that'd be super! Thanks again.
    hi,
    Open the command prompt in the folder where the HelloWorldBasic_gcce.pkg file is located. type at command prompt the following :
    makesis helloworldbasic_gcce.pkg
    The helloworldbasic_gcce.SIS file is created into the same directory where the .pkg file is located

Find in the SDK document details of how to do this step by step:
    S60 3rd Edition SDK for Symbian OS, MR
    Getting Started Guide >> Creating an Application>>creating the sis file

Hope it helps

Good Luck and Cheers
    Neil

Regular Contributor

Hello,

just to mention, I had a strange experience with Carbide.c++ 1.2. I build the hello world example from the SDK 2nd_FP3.
    When I have chosen the build configuration for ARM and started build from the projects menu, Carbide built it completely.
    I looked for the sis file and found none. I spent some hours looking into several forums to find out how to build the sis file. Then I noticed that the console window showed me that the sis has been build successfully. But it could not be found in the explorer (navigator) windows of Carbide in the sis path.
    But silly Carbide, the file was there but Carbide didn't show it. After stopping and restarting Carbide the file was shown.

Karsten