Discussion Board

Receiving messages and process them into a database or txt file

Hi, I wanted to know if you can help me to know how can I receive messages in j2me, in a previous api I'm sending a message to a phone with a port number as an identifier (5555), I want the other phone to receive the message (just the one with that identifier), take part of the message and save it into a database (the message are data separate with commas), I know that with RMS we could handle a database in j2me but I was thinking if it would be better to save the data on a txt file, pass it to a pc through nokia pc suite and process it with any other software in a data base, I don't know if it's possible, I've been looking for this information but I can't find what I need to do.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Receiving messages and process them into a database or txt file

You can send and receive messages between phones with Wireless Messaging API, save as .txt file with FileConnection API.

Please take a look at the relevant documentation sections of Forum Nokia web site to see code examples for both APIs.

Daniel

Well, the thing is that I need to write a txt file for every incoming message with that port number as identifier, if I get 10 incoming messages I want to create 10 txt files for every one of them, how can I do this? I'm checking some examples for incoming messages but I still don't know how to take the information from the message, something with getPayloadData()? In that case what kind of variable could I use? String?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

Cast the "Message" type to "TextMassage" and use:

String s = textMessage.getPayloadText();

Then proceed to create a new file with this content using FileConnection API.

Daniel