Discussion Board

Obtaining phone location using CellID and JSR 179 or any other Nokia Java API

Hi
    Excuse me if this is not the correct forum for this question. I am in the process of creating a MIDlet that will obtain the location of a phone that is NOT connected to a GPS receiver or has GPS func, meaning that I will need to use Cell IDs as much as possible. In reading all the JSR 179 specs (Sun and Nokia), I was under the impression that the JSR 179 impl supports cell id based location. However, on my E50, upon installing the Tourist demo app, I see that it is looking for a GPS unit. In googling on this topic, it looks like CellID based location is not supported by JSR 179. I have the following questions for which I would appreciate responses:
    1. Can someone confirm for sure that CellID based location finding is not supported in JSR 179?
    2. Is such info something that I can obtain from my carrier (India's Airtel)?
    3. What are the alternatives that I have (considering that I do NOT use GPS)? NetMonitor? Write Symbian C++ code to pick up the CellID info, etc from IMSI? I would like to obtain latitude and longitude of the mobile phone location.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Obtaining phone location using CellID and JSR 179 or any other Nokia Java API

1) confirmed. The operator might provide locationing information, but it is different from the CellID

2) It is available for Native apps and also Python has access to it

3) with Cell ID you cannot yet find out the latitude and longitude, unless you have a database of the locations of the cell towers

Hartti

Re: Obtaining phone location using CellID and JSR 179 or any other Nokia Java API

JSR 179 does support Cell-ID based location finding. "MTE_CELLID": Location method Cell-ID for cellular (in GSM, this is the same as CGI, Cell Global Identity). (From the location API).
    However, I think Nokia doesn't support it in it's API. Could be a bug: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?p=315925

Super Contributor

"JSR 179 does support Cell-ID based location finding. "MTE_CELLID": Location method Cell-ID for cellular (in GSM, this is the same as CGI, Cell Global Identity). (From the location API)."

Uh-oh. It looks like I need to read the JSR-179 API again. Sorry for the misinformation.

Hartti

Thanks for the info, and sorry for the delayed response.

However, the last response on the above link also states:
    "The JSR-179 Location API itself does not provide a functionality to support Cell ID positioning but if the native Location Framework in S60 supports Cell ID positioning (i.e has Network Positioning Proxy or several of them) then it is also possible to get the cell ID position information from JSR-179. So the feature depends on the platform configuration."

So, it looks like I will need to configure the location framework on my E50. Does anyone know how to do this? Essentially configure the framework to support Cell ID positioning?
    Thanks.

Super Contributor

The "platform configuration" is decided by the device manufacturer (what to take/include and what not to). So, if the support isn't on the E50, then you can't change it; only the people that create/build the E50 firmware at Nokia can.

I am also having the same problem of retrieving the CELL_ID

if u have the solution .....please guide me....

System.getProperty("com.nokia.mid.networkid") is meant to return the network ID and network short name see:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...C996A25D7.html

I think this is only meant to work on S60 version 3 FP2. When I run it on an E61 all I get is "1()" which is not helpful but you can see what you get when you try.