Discussion Board

Thread: Satsa-APDU

Satsa-APDU

Dear All,

I am writing my master's thesis which is concerning Java Mobile and Java Card. I am developing a smart card applet on a SIM card. I planned to comunicate with this applet using JCRMI, but I have just realised the are no devices supporting this package. Browsing this forum I have discovered some terminals support Satsa-APDU which can be used instead. I have some questions and I hoped you could help me:

1) Could you exactly tell me which devices support the satsa-apdu? (In specs jsr 177 is generally mentioned but I would like to be sure it's not only crypto and pki)

2) If I would like to connect (using satsa-apdu) from my Java app to the applet I am developing on the SIM - do I need any signing and so on?

3) If I really need to sign the midlet to communicate by apdu with the applet loaded on the SIM - how should I do it?

Thanks in advance for you support.

Anna

Super Contributor

Re: Satsa-APDU

1) Series 40 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 devices and 5th Edition devices. Go to the http://forum.nokia.com/devices and use the drop-down menu to select the devices belonging to only a specific platform edition.
    incomplete list
    5200, 5300, 6300, 6085/6, 6500, ...

2) You need at least 3rd party signing (either Verisign or Thawte) for SIM access. If you want to use SIM application toolkit, you need operator signing.
    Note however that the SIM card has to specifically prepared for this, it need to contain the APDU commands you are trying to send to the SIM card. Check the SATSA specification, Appendix A)
    Shameless self promotion, check the javaone 2007 presentation archive http://developers.sun.com/learning/j...rack=4&yr=2007 contain an APDU presentation

3) you need to buy a certificate from the CA (Thawte or Verisign). The development tools contain then the signing tools

Hartti

I'll hijack this thread, since I'm also writing a master thesis regarding Java Mobile & SIM card applications

Is there a way to emulate a SIM card to use with the S40 3rd Edition FP2 emulator instead of using a physical card in a reader?
    I am currently making a short study to assess the feasibility of my project and what hardware that need to be purchased, so I don't have access to any card development tools at the moment but would still like to see at least the example APDU midlet in action

Super Contributor

Unfortunately you need the smart card reader. There is no card emulation available in the SDK

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti
    1) Series 40 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 devices and 5th Edition devices. Go to the http://forum.nokia.com/devices and use the drop-down menu to select the devices belonging to only a specific platform edition.
    incomplete list
    5200, 5300, 6300, 6085/6, 6500, ...

2) You need at least 3rd party signing (either Verisign or Thawte) for SIM access. If you want to use SIM application toolkit, you need operator signing.
    Note however that the SIM card has to specifically prepared for this, it need to contain the APDU commands you are trying to send to the SIM card. Check the SATSA specification, Appendix A)
    Shameless self promotion, check the javaone 2007 presentation archive http://developers.sun.com/learning/j...rack=4&yr=2007 contain an APDU presentation

3) you need to buy a certificate from the CA (Thawte or Verisign). The development tools contain then the signing tools

Hartti
    Dear Hartti:
    I am developing a midlet using APDU, and I have signed the midlet with Thawte certificate. However, when I tried to establish the apdu connection, it threw SecurityException.
    I have watched your presentation in javaone 2007, but I can't watch those pages after page 15. I have also read JSR 177 Appendix A, but I still have some problems.
    I am curious about the SIM card u mentioned above(the SIM card has to specifically prepared for this, it need to contain the APDU commands you are trying to send to the SIM card). Does it mean that I can't use an average SIM card to send apdu? If so, which SIM card should I choose?? If not, how do I prepare the SIM card? Does it mean that I have to modify the ACE in SIM Card? Can I do that?

The cellphone I use is 7390, and the sim card is OCS USIM.
    BTW, could you tell me when Nokia will release a cellphone with APDU, PKI and Crypto functions??

Thanks in advance for your support.

George

Super Contributor

Hi George,

"Does it mean that I can't use an average SIM card to send apdu? "
    Yes, it means exactly that.

"how do I prepare the SIM card? "
    Either you get a non-working SIM card for a SIM card manufacturer, like we did for our demos in JavaOne (of course then you are not able to make any calls)
    Or then you work with your operator and ask them to add the required information on the card.
    Of course this means that you have tight connection/relations to these companies to achieve these kind of modifications...
    You cannot modify the card contents yourself.

"BTW, could you tell me when Nokia will release a cellphone with APDU, PKI and Crypto functions??"

Well, all those three optional packages of SATSA are mandatory for devices supporting MSA (all 16 APIs). As Nokia was the co-lead of that spec, such devices are coming.
    There is already Series 40 5th Edition devices (at least announced, might not be yet on the market), which support APDU and CRYPTO.

"I have watched your presentation in javaone 2007, but I can't watch those pages after page 15."

Hmm... interesting. What happens?

Hartti

Dear Hartti:
    From my understanding, we need to find a sim card that supports the file structure defined in PKCS#15, and we have to ask the card manufactor to add the Access Control File into this file structure (static mechanism). Is that right?
    After doing that, we have
    1. a signed midlet(by Thawte),
    2. a applet in sim card,
    3. a correct ACF in the correct location of the card,
    then we can exchange apdu commands between midlet and sim card. Am I right?

Thanks for your support.

George

Super Contributor

George,

1) If the phone you are using allows MIDlet signing with Thawte, then yes

I have not dealt directly with the card manufacturers and I do not have enough knowledge on SIM cards to say whether or not it is feasible and possible to get the changes done to the SIM card. So I have to leave questions 2&3 unanswered

Hartti

I hate to be ovious but im also writhign a master thesis in this area, has either of you(Ivory,christoffer.haglund) or maybe George0406 got any further on this topic, a workin axample or maybe even a written master thesis?