Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Best way for recording

Hello,

I need to write an application for S60 3rd edition (Nokia 5500) that does the following:
    1. Record from MIC to a buffer, detect hits/beats and then send a message via bluetooth
    2. Record from MIC + incoming call and send audio data via bluetooth

I found out that there is CDevSound that allows recording to a buffer.
    However I couldn't find out what format it uses. Furthermore it's not clear if it allows recording incoming calls and the documentation says that it is not part of S60 3rd edition.
    Then I found CMdaAudioRecorderUtility, which allows recording of incoming calls + MIC and is available in S60 3rd edition. However it records to a file and I would rather not want that since I need to stream the data to a server using bluetooth.

Could someone please clarify what can be done with S60 3rd edition?
    And why is CDevSound not available in 3rd edition?
    I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to accomplish the two tasks.

Thanks
    codepatch

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Best way for recording

I would try recording with streams, then you could record to buffer. The audio content would be PCM, thus I would think that it would be easiest to analyze, then again its big in size, thus could pose problems on the BT sending part. You could though try converting the PCM to something else after your analyze part, but have to say that I haven't tried any of these parts on 3rd edition devices yet.

yucca

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by codepatch
    Hello,

I need to write an application for S60 3rd edition (Nokia 5500) that does the following:
    1. Record from MIC to a buffer, detect hits/beats and then send a message via bluetooth
    2. Record from MIC + incoming call and send audio data via bluetooth

I found out that there is CDevSound that allows recording to a buffer.
    However I couldn't find out what format it uses. Furthermore it's not clear if it allows recording incoming calls and the documentation says that it is not part of S60 3rd edition.
    Then I found CMdaAudioRecorderUtility, which allows recording of incoming calls + MIC and is available in S60 3rd edition. However it records to a file and I would rather not want that since I need to stream the data to a server using bluetooth.

Could someone please clarify what can be done with S60 3rd edition?
    And why is CDevSound not available in 3rd edition?
    I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to accomplish the two tasks.

Thanks
    codepatch
    I Suggest you to use Audio Proxy Server http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...o_Proxy_Server

makes no sence at all to suggest APS for recording with MIC... Its not-too-easy-to-use-workaround basically at this point of time, and none of the requirements specified in the post require the features that APS was made for...

yucca

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca
    makes no sence at all to suggest APS for recording with MIC... Its not-too-easy-to-use-workaround basically at this point of time, and none of the requirements specified in the post require the features that APS was made for...

yucca
    Sorry... i thought APS is only way to record Incoming call in 3rd Edition Devices.

Ok, could be that I'm wrong on that... Usually the recording have not had any problems on phone calls, only the audio playing part to the uplink.

Anyway should propably try this oiut and see if it is actually the case.

yucca

Regular Contributor

I tried recording audio using the AudioStreamExample on a Nokia5500.
    However I noticed jumps in the audio when I played it back.
    As it seems Nokia5500 isn't fast enought to deal with the data.
    I also tried using the AMR-NB encoding but it didn't help.
    What can I do to get clear audio without any skips/jumps.

I also tried to installe the wavegen/Audio Output Stream Example but the Nokia5500 didn't let me install it. I always got the message:
    "Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted source".
    What am I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    codepatch